NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Explorer-like Workspace view

It would be nice if there was an option to make Workspace view just like the Explorer view. While the current everything-in-the-tree workspace view is widespread across IDEs, I find the Explorer two-pane view more usable.
One would suggest just using the Explorer view but it has two shortcommings:
1. The current Explorer view implementation does NOT auto-refresh when there is some activity in the directory, even when saving a file from the IDE itself, so this has the power to induce confusion.
2. It lists all drives and folders in the computer. I would like to be able to see only the current project/workspace folders.
Site Admin

sounds reasonable

Veteran

tedych wrote:

1. The current Explorer view implementation does NOT auto-refresh when there is some activity in the directory, even when saving a file from the IDE itself, so this has the power to induce confusion.

The workspace view doesn't refresh automatically either.

Create a new folder in the explorer view or in windows explorer called @myFolder in your project root dir.

Go to workspace view, its not there, refresh it appears.

Go back to explorer view and delete the folder.

Go back to workspace view, its still there.

Maybe PHPed could install a system hook to receive notifications from the OS about changes to the file system?

I also love explorer view, and wish workspace view had the 'option' of a split window (that can be toggled on/off)

Or maybe this feature would have been unneeded if there was another most wanted feature - find/open file dialog box - the sibling of another requested feature - a "find symbol" dialog box.
Well, the workspace actually auto-refreshes for me, either when creating directory or files outside and from inside, or when removing them. Maybe just another option is the culprit for you. On this computer I'm still on a 7.x version, but I think on the 8.x it worked as well. I can test this if you want.
Veteran

I'm running 8.1 and windows 7

Can you test 8.1 ?

Ha!
You were right. Under 8.1 auto-refresh in Workspace as well, is no longer working. I wonder how many other bugs are lurking under the hood, 8.1 has just been released and we had not enough time to see all of them. I might have guessed the Workspace/explorer tool windows were not updated in any way, why the feature had to be removed, or is another bug.
If so, consider this a bug report Smile .
Veteran

They dont accept bug reports here. Send them a message here: http://shop.nusphere.com/contact_us/

I've reported a few bugs in 8.1, but all are mainly minor issues, nothing major.

It would be nice if there was a bug report forum, so we could all see what had been reported etc. I've found one bug that causes the app to close, it would be useful to tell others how to avoid this etc..
Site Admin

tedych wrote:
Ha!
You were right. Under 8.1 auto-refresh in Workspace as well, is no longer working.

If you think there is a bug, just report it.
Otherwise, please stop blaming/trolling.

joeb wrote:

perhaps you unchecked auto-refresh for local and/or remote projects.

dmitri wrote:
If you think there is a bug, just report it.
Otherwise, please stop blaming/trolling.

I thought it was working as in 7, so this thread was used to bear testimony to the eventual (still not sure) bug.

dmitri wrote:
joeb wrote:

perhaps you unchecked auto-refresh for local and/or remote projects.

Nope, it is all checked and still.
Probably a bug.
Site Admin

Then probably you are using remote share as a project root. It does work in some cases and does not in the others. I just checked with XP working with W7 share and it worked fine, while W7 refused to see changes I did on Linux share (samba).

Check if Windows Explorer itself can see changes you do in Workspace.

I'm only using local harddisk's project roots.

When I create a folder in Workspace, then switch to Windows Explorer, the folder appears right away as it should.
When I try to delete the folder from Workspace, it disappears from Windows Explorer, but in Workspace something strange happens - only the yellow icon disappears, the folder name moves to the left on the freed icon space and the item persists until I do a manual refresh.

Two days ago I took the plunge and reported this and another bug and several feature requests since I thought devs never read the forums because I can't remember of many features being implemented after requests in the forums.I might be wrong on that though. I'll wait for their opinion on the refresh issue.
Explorer-like Workspace view