NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
PHPED causing my laptop's fan to be super loud, any fix?

Hi,

I use a laptop for work (i7 2630QM, 8 GB RAM, W8 ) with PHPED. Since the very beginning I've noticed that all the time that PHPED is open (even if I'm not using it) the fan of my laptop goes crazy. I've been looking at the task manager and the CPU usage doesn't seem to high (although it never goes below 5% even if I'm not doing anything), but the disc access is always super high, like 50-60 MB/s (when the next high usage process uses like 1-5 MB/s). Is this constant high access to the hard drive the cause of this?

If so, is there any way to prevent this? I know that there's usually some indexing process, but idk, I've had the software for a while and I don't think that there's that much stuff to index anyways. Also, I see that the PHP Debug listener is always on by default, is there any way to make it off and just start it when I want to use it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Guru master

It doesn't sound like normal PhpED behaviour. I leave PhpED going 24 hours a day, rarely restarting it and normally with a large (often Magento) project always open. It's on a server, so doesn't even get suspended/hibernated. It doesn't use up much CPU when I'm not doing anything and no I/O.

Debug Listener does run all of the time PhpED is going but it has quite low resource requirements and I normally forget it is there. With 8GB memory you shouldn't need to stop it.

What build are you using?

Some installed software can 'link' into your applications, so whilst PhpED is showing the CPU usage, it might not mean it is PhpED doing it. You could try using sysinternals utilities to see what the process is doing. Alternatively contact NuSphere support and see if they have any suggestions, as they might have seen this issue before.
PHPED causing my laptop's fan to be super loud, any fix?