NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Automatically store/save copies of files

Is there any way to make PhpEd save a copy of the file I'm working on so I can restore it when I find problems?

Basically, what I want is to be able to use a previous version of a file when I mess up something. PhpEd would automatically save a copy of the file in some kind of repository every time I press Ctrl +S.

I have a file, and I make some changes to it one day. And then the next day if I discover that I made a mistake, I could go back to the previous version of the file (which was saved, automatically, the previous day)

I hope you understood me. And I'm sorry if this was asked before, I couldn't find anything. The closest I could get to this is CVS, and I'm not sure if that is what I want - I don't work in a team.

Thanks Smile

Borland's (or whoever they are now) IDE does this. Every time I save a file, the previous state gets saved in a '__history' dir as 'filename.ext.####'. I used this for the first time in Borland's IDE the other day, although have used it on and off for a few years. Could be a nice feature to have to help with some debugging too, especially if it can provide some kind of built-in 'diff' tool too (UltraCompare etc would work just fine as a 3rd-party, external tool, but to have this built in to PHPEd if it was to incorporate some kind of history would be a nice touch IMO).

SVN (better than CVS IMO) isn't only for team development. It's not quite what you're after as you'd never commit every change you made to the repository, but it is something I use for all my projects (and I primarily work solo) as I find it useful for backups, and sometimes I work on different boxes, so handy to be able to update a working copy and always know that I'm working with the same latest code regardless of what screen I happen to be sitting in front of. Something you might want to look in to anyway, separate to your request.

Personally I use a FreeBSD box with an SVN server running to store my repositories separate to my development desktops, and access this then through TortoiseSVN which can also be accessed through PHPEd's 'Shell Menu' access Smile

Regards,

Ian
Automatically store/save copies of files