NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[SFTP] Couldn't setstat: permission denied

Hi,

On quite a few servers there's a setting that doesn't allow changing file permissions through SFTP if the file owner is not logged in user.

In this situation PhpED gives an error:

Failed to upload file "C:\....." to "/...."
Couldn't setstat (/...): Permission denied.

While the file is saved because permissions allow so, the file in PhpED is marked as unsaved because it tried to set permissions to the file and there was a permissions error, so it considers transaction failed.

In WinSCP there's a configuration that allows to ignore errors with setting file permissions via SFTP, is there something like this in PhpED?

Thank you,
Boris.
Re: [SFTP] Couldn't setstat: permission denied

I too get the same bug, because the SFTP user has group write permissions, but is not the owner of the file.

There should be a way to disable the "feature" of PHPEd trying to set permissions upon upload.

I'm experiencing the same issue.

This 'feature' is more like a bug.

I work on SVN content checked out under a different account/group on boxes, and I have to use PHPEd 5.6 to get any work done.

Sorry for this issue, but if you log in as a user who is not an owner, then the system doesn't allow to do time modification. Without the proper modification time our smart sync feature can't work.
We used to ignore "permission denied" error and we got bug reports that smart sync works incorrectly.
Now we're considering to add an option so you can decide - either you'll log in as an owner and smart sync will work or you'll log in as not-owner, will check the option that you don't care about modification time and you're OK with smart sync not working properly.
Nusphere Support.

Thanks for the response.

In my case, and I'm sure many others, the following is important:

- Time modification may not be possible (mounted SAN shares for example)
- The filesystem may be mounted with noatime flags
- It may not be possible to place the user editing the file in the group (SAN filesystem once again comes to mind)

This definitely needs to be enabled as an option. Any ETA?

We're planning to do it, hopefully in the new version - please check our email notifications.
Regards,
Support

Good Afternoon,

I noticed this post is more than 2 years old. Has this issue been resolved yet? I'm using PHPed v5.8, and am having the same exact problem. The file I'm modifying is in user:group www-data:devel and has perms 775. My user is in groups devel and www-data, but I can't upload. There are other developers on the system using PHPed and uploading fine.

Is this a NuSphere issue? or something with SFTP? Has an option become ready that can switch this time modification on/off? If so, where?

Regards.
Site Admin

It's more related to Unix file system permissions. If you try to modify file's date-time stamp, it will return error in case if you're not root and not an owner of the file.

As promised by gitmans, we added "Copy timestamp on file transfter" option to sftp accounts. You can turn it off and PhpED's SFTP client won't try to set timestamp.

BTW, for obvious reasons, I don't recommend to use Smart Upload/Download with this option turned off.