NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
FTP upload

Hi,

I love the NuSphere PhpEd, and I use it every day.

Need to renew my subscription, so this may have been fixed already.

My problem is that when I upload a file to the FTP server using PhpED, I think it is deleting the file, and then uploading a new one.

Problem is that this introduces a delay whilst the new file is uploaded. On busy websites, this causes a problem (the file is not available for a few seconds).

I have to use FileZilla to upload new files on busy sites so as to cause the least amount of disruption as possible.

Is this simply a case of REPLACING the file over FTP, rather than deleting and uploading? There is a REPLACE command in FTP which does this. You may have to check if the file exists first or something, in which case you can send a signal confirming overwrites. Im sure there is a way to do it if FileZilla does it.

Thanks

Matthew
Site Admin

PhpED does not delete the file before uploading, it simply runs PUT command, nothing else. Please check your ftp server logs to make see what's happening on the server side and what FTP commands are executed.

OK yeah, I think this is just a limitation of FTP in general.

Best way is to tar ball it all up and use SSH to extract over the file system at the least busiest time. Hey, that would be a great add on for PhpEd! You could just tarball up the latest changes since a subversion revision or something.

Smile
Site Admin

hmm, what's about Windows where tar.exe may not be installed at all? what's about old unix systems where tar is not FSF's and does not support even half of the arguments it supports these days? I think executing something on the sever during upload is not really good idea, but I agree non-interrupting upload is a good feature to have.

Yeah, it would be specific to certain setups.

I suppose this would be more of an optional add on for those developers that can support it. Not everyone uses Subversion too.

Maybe it might be an idea to upload the file as a temporary name (e.g. upload.randomstring.timestamp.tmp), and when it is uploaded, simply 'MOVE' the file. Perhaps this will yield faster performance. Should be fairly simple to implement too I guess.
FTP upload