function test()
   {
      // break here:
      print $this->x;
   }   
}

$w = new woot();
$w->test();

Put a break on the "print $this->x;" line.

When you hover over $this the tooltip is 'x=1', when you hover over the "->x" the tooltip is "$this->x = undefined"

In the imediate window:

print $this->x;
: Error Undefined property: woot::$x

In the 'locals' window click on the "+" next to this, it shows that $this->x == 1

I'm not sure what should happen in this situation, but if the tooltip had "You are trying to access a private member" would be helpful.

If all the windows showed the same thing it'd be better.

I find this error a lot when exploring PEAR and other peoples code.

Cheers,

monk.e.boy
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm not sure what should happen in this situation,

I'd recommend you to check php manual http://www.php.net/private
Property x in woot class is NOT defined.

Quote:
the tooltip is "$this->x = undefined"

it's correct.

Quote:
In the imediate window:

print $this->x;
: Error Undefined property: woot::$x

it is correct too.

Quote:
but if the tooltip had "You are trying to access a private member" would be helpful

but it is NOT private member. It is UNDEFINED member Smile, or not a member at all.

So the other points in my post, where the IDE shows $this->x == 1 is wrong? The tooltip and the 'locals' window?

monk.e.boy
Site Admin

Even though debugger showed you that property in the Locals, still it is not accessible from an instance of woot class.
PLEASE check the sample shown in the php manual. It is almost the same as yours and private property gives "not defined" too. It's intended behaviour of php. Nothing else.

I understand how private variables work.

I don't understand why the IDE shows $this->x as 1 and not undefined. We both agree it should be undefined. Why is the IDE telling me it has value '1'?

monk.e.boy
Site Admin

It's because this value is in the parent class and debugger sees it. Try to assign $this->x with a value and you'll see _new_ x property created and debugger will show you two properties with the same name x. Debugger just shows you how php works internally.

> Debugger just shows you how php works internally.

Oh, OK. That makes sense.

But from my perspective as a programmer the tooltips, local window and imediate window seem inconsistant. Some show undefined, some show '1'. I think they should all show undefined.

monk.e.boy
Site Admin

It's possible. But if we follow your suggestion, it will confuse too. Indeed, same instance will be shown differently in different contexts. While you're in the parent methods, you'll see private properties but as soon as you go out of those methods, private properties will _disappear_. Same goes to the protected properties. They are not accessible out of the class or its successors' scopes.

dmitri wrote:
It's possible. But if we follow your suggestion, it will confuse too. Indeed, same instance will be shown differently in different contexts. While you're in the parent methods, you'll see private properties but as soon as you go out of those methods, private properties will _disappear_. Same goes to the protected properties. They are not accessible out of the class or its successors' scopes.

That is how other IDEs work. Exactly what you said.

They also show the scope of the property, so you may be in 'base' and see "(private) $this->x = 1" and when you pop out into 'woot' that property would dissapear. This is what I would expect to happen Smile

I don't think this would confuse people. After all, this is what happens in your head while you are coding.

monk.e.boy
Private variables