NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Interface look...

Hi all. I'm trying out PhpED, and it looks great. Just have a few questions / issues with it.

1.) If you look at the image in the post, there seems to be something weird with the gutter buttons and such. They get cut-off. Is it possible to turn the gutter buttons off?
2.) The code-folding doesn't work for if() statements.... why not? That should be a collapsible block. Can this be enabled somewhere? Or is this a feature request?
3.) Is there a way to change the "theme" in one foul swoop? I'd rather not spend 40 minutes going through each option and changing colors to the syntax highlighter.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

View user's profileFind all posts by bpat1434Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Re: Interface weirdness...

bpat1434 wrote:
1.) If you look at the image in the post, there seems to be something weird with the gutter buttons and such. They get cut-off. Is it possible to turn the gutter buttons off?

The area you are referring to (i believe) is called the Editor Toolbar. To be honest, I'm not quite following what is "wrong" with that area in your screenshot. It looks ok to me. However, you can hide the Editor Toolbar by going to the View menu, and uncheck Editor Toolbar.

bpat1434 wrote:

2.) The code-folding doesn't work for if() statements.... why not? That should be a collapsible block. Can this be enabled somewhere? Or is this a feature request?

PhpEd isnt able to fold control structure statements.... yet. It has been requested, and should be available in a future release.

bpat1434 wrote:

3.) Is there a way to change the "theme" in one foul swoop? I'd rather not spend 40 minutes going through each option and changing colors to the syntax highlighter.

no clue on that one... I'll let someone more knowledgeable take a stab at tackling this question.
Re: Interface weirdness...
Veteran

bpat1434 wrote:

As for the cut-off appearance, that's normal. I believe it's supposed to give visual indication that the buttons act on the editing area.

As for turning them off, use View->Show Gutter.
Quote:

This is a limitation that we've been told will be addressed in a future version. Code folding was just added with 5.0, so it's still definitely a work-in-progress.
Quote:

Please see this thread:

color-profiles-t3749.html
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

What about the font being "cutoff" after so many pixels? For example, if I type: $_SESSION['something'] I'll see: $_SESSIO|\['something']. So the last vertical bar of the N is lost. Happens as well with italicized text. like if the character goes over the space of 1 characters width, it cuts it off.

I'm using a monospaced font, Proggy Clean TTSZ, although NuSphere doesn't pick it up as a mono-spaced font.

Any ideas?
View user's profileFind all posts by bpat1434Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number

bpat1434 wrote:
What about the font being "cutoff" after so many pixels? For example, if I type: $_SESSION['something'] I'll see: $_SESSIO|\['something']. So the last vertical bar of the N is lost. Happens as well with italicized text. like if the character goes over the space of 1 characters width, it cuts it off.

I'm using a monospaced font, Proggy Clean TTSZ, although NuSphere doesn't pick it up as a mono-spaced font.

Any ideas?

I didnt notice that at first from your screen shot, but at line 28 it looks like you're using an @ to suppress an error, and the @ has been cut off. I've never heard of the proggy font collection, but now that I have looked them up, I must say I'm impressed. I'll install them and see if I have similar issues with them.

Okay, I'm going to attach another image, this one shows it with the proggy fonts and cut-off. The top image is just the default Courier or whatever font.

You'll notice that if the $_SESSION is followed by a space or a "[" then the last part of it is cut off, otherwise, it's okay. Same thing with the comments that say PHP in italics. Not sure what's going on or how to fix it.

As it turns out, even the monospaced fonts as designated by PhpED does it too. Just fiddle with the font-size in the "preview" window and watch the "o" at the end of "echo" and you'll see it get cut off.... I'm wondering if it has to do with the white-space or not....
Site Admin

Some fonts contain slightly incorrect info about their sizes and this may lead to cut off.
BTW you won't encounter any problems with fonts that come with Windows.

Regarding "monospeced" or not, try to type some lines with the same text in WordPad, apply different font styles to them (bold, normal and italic) and check the resulting width of the lines.

also, see this thread

other-fonts-t112.html

Thanks for the info. Read up more on proggy fonts and it's a bitmap based font that is "fixed width"... Oh well, I found one that will work for me (Dina). Thanks for the help!!

bpat1434 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Read up more on proggy fonts and it's a bitmap based font that is "fixed width"... Oh well, I found one that will work for me (Dina). Thanks for the help!!

funny... i just installed that one (dina) and am using it now as well. Very Happy

bpat1434 wrote:

I'm using Dina too, at 8pt. Looks good to me & doesn't get cut off. Most of the fonts mentioned in the other thread were cut off for me as well.
Veteran

I made most of them usable simply by turning off all italics. With coloring, I don't miss italics, plus the text that was in italics (comments, in my case) is now more readable. And, of course, I have a much bigger selection of fonts that will work. So now I'm spending a couple of weeks with each font to see which works best for me.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Interface look...