NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
New PhpED user: setting up localhost project

I have read the faqs pertinent to setting up projects but am still not clear. I want setup and use PhpED properly for most effective use.

My localhost apache server stores pages at c:\xampp\htdocs and I have been storing my application in the root folder c:\xampp\htdocs\MyApp that also has subfolders like \includes \images \modules etc.

It looks like PhpED want to setup projects at
c:\ProgramFiles\nusphere\phped\projects so I will have c:\ProgramFiles\nusphere\phped\projects\MyApp. Am I supposed to copy all the files/folders from c:\xampp\htdocs\MyApp\... to c:\ProgramFiles\nusphere\phped\projects\MyApp\... ? or should I setup my projects in c:\xampp\htdocs\MyApp ?

If I copy all the files/folders to the \nusphere\ directory, how do I get the pages into c:\xampp\htdocs\ (the apache server) so they are exposed.

Sorry for these newbie questions and thanks
Site Admin

Quote:
Am I supposed to copy all the files/folders from c:\xampp\htdocs\MyApp\... to c:\ProgramFiles\nusphere\phped\projects\MyApp\... ?

No. If you work with local apache web server, it's okay to work in htdocs directly.

Quote:
If I copy all the files/folders to the \nusphere\ directory, how do I get the pages into c:\xampp\htdocs\ (the apache server) so they are exposed.

If you have remote Apache, you'll have to store files somewhere on your local machine and synchronize them with remote Apache's htdocs using sftp, ftp or webdav. Alternatively you could share htdocs directory and map it as network disk on your machine and work with it directly.
In case of local Apache you don't need this all.

Yeah I agree that the FAQ or any other online document was not really that helpful for people who are already running xampp (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) to setup PhpED to debug their local applications.. For example, how about in the Mapping section "Remote root directory:" should I put anything there? Thanks!
View user's profileFind all posts by chuangSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Site Admin

I'm not sure what you mean. This FAQ page howto-set-project-mapping-t2135.html is very helpful for people running Apache, and in particular XAMP and it explains what "Remote directory" should be entered with.