NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Some new-user questions

I'm coming from a different IDE, and I like PhpED, but it's missing a few items that I utilized a decent amount.

I would like to know the following:

Why can I create a new directory on an FTP but not a new file?

Can there be a default set of code-folding set to happen automatically when a file is opened? So that when I open a large class I can see all the methods and phpdoc tags folded, but not the class itself without going to the context menu?

Why, when I load a file, does the color-coding not take effect until I click inside the php code? (I use <? ?> shorthand tags, not <?php).

Are there plans to implement different color schemes for the code highlighting? I like to change mine up once and a while or be able to tweak what I am using and go back easily without having to restore/backup setting files.

When I make changes to a file, then undo a few of these changes and copy some text (using keyboard shortcuts), the redo functionality isn't available to redo what I undid that I wanted to copy into.

Is there an auto-trim for EOL or EOF to remove whitespace?

I apologize for the laundry list, but I believe all users that come from another IDE have thoughts of how what should work that may not all be met Smile

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
View user's profileFind all posts by trueheart78Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

Colour coding takes effect depending on wether you're coding html, php etc. When you first open a file, it doesn't know what you're coding.

You can change the colours in the settings -> Editor -> Syntax Colors area.

Check the other settings while you're in there Smile

Lats,

The IDE only supports colour coding for one language at a time? It should know what to color code by file extension, I would think.

Also, the colors settings work fine, I'm wondering if there is a way to have multiple, easy to setup, schemes.
View user's profileFind all posts by trueheart78Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

No, try editing a block of php, then a block of html in the one file to see it change.

Lats,

Do you have any other suggestions for the rest of my issues?

I understand what you are saying about the editor, I am used to the type that highlight all of the file, so when a php file is opened, and the cursor is right before the <?, I'd like to see the php highlighting turned on.

Thanks.
Veteran

You probably have Dynamic Highlighting enabled (Tools menu, Setting, IDE Settings). With Dynamic Highlighting disabled, syntax colours will always display, no matter where you click. With Dynamic Highlighting enabled, PHP syntax colouring only comes on when you are between the PHP tags, a nice feature IMHO when working a mix of PHP, HTML and Javascript.
View user's profileFind all posts by annoSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
Is there an auto-trim for EOL

see Keep trailing blanks in the editor settings

Quote:
Why, when I load a file, does the color-coding not take effect until I click inside the php code?

you may want to turn off Dynamic Highlighting in View menu.

Quote:
Can there be a default set of code-folding set to happen automatically when a file is opened?

we have this in our plans for the next version.

Quote:
Why can I create a new directory on an FTP but not a new file?

you can create it locally and drag-drop (move) to the FTP.

Quote:
When I make changes to a file, then undo a few of these changes and copy some text (using keyboard shortcuts), the redo functionality isn't available

see cursor movements and UNDO/REDO discussion on this forum board.