NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Auto upload file on change


Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Location: Poland
Reply with quote
Just to be clear: I'm not talking about "Auto upload opened files" option in settings (:

Situation: when working on images for a website I have to save them in my graphics editor, switch to PhpED and upload new versions manually. It would be great if PhpED had a "file/folder monitor" function which would automatically upload the file when it's changed by another application or a new file is detected in monitored folder.

CuteFTP client has this feature (http://help.globalscape.com/help/cuteftppro8/monitoring_a_local_folder_for_changes.htm), but it monitors only folders.
View user's profileFind all posts by bartheqSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7881
Reply with quote
the only problem with this "feature" is to make decision when a copy would be uploaded. Say you opened Photoshop and work with your picture. Say, you got a compex work to be done and saves your file time after time just to make sure the page is looking good with the results. Would you like something to upload non-finished work to the server?

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Location: Poland
Reply with quote
I don't see the problem here because in Photoshop you usually work on .psd files and use "Save for web" to save the file you then upload, right? (:
View user's profileFind all posts by bartheqSend private message
Site Admin

Joined: 13 Jul 2003
Posts: 7881
Reply with quote
correct, but what's about say css files and 3rd party editors for editing them? Smile

_________________
The PHP IDE team
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Location: Poland
Reply with quote
Well if you decide to enable this option then you know that there's a risk of of uploading something not finished. But what 3rd party css editors have autosave feature that would result in unwanted upload?

And who uses another applications if they have PhpED anyway? It's perfect for almost everything. I'd even use it as my default FTP client if dragging a file from windows explorer to explorer in PhpED would actually upload it to selected directory /which IS highlighted when file is dragged over it/ instead of opening it in the editor /bug?/.
View user's profileFind all posts by bartheqSend private message
Veteran

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 253
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Reply with quote
I suggest an "Edit in External Editor" command for the Workspaces tab. Use this on a file, and the file opens in whatever external editor is assigned to that file type. If the command is chosen on its own, no auto-upload occurs; if the command is chosen with a modifier (say, shift), then the file is auto-uploaded every time it is saved in the external app. (The default state could be a pref, of course.)

As to this:
Quote:
And who uses another applications if they have PhpED anyway? It's perfect for almost everything.
Well... the IDE is very good, but it's far from perfect for almost everything. For example, its search-and-replace facility is somewhat weak, even completely unusable for many tasks. In these cases, I find myself doing a copy-and-paste back-and-forth to another app that does it better.[/quote]
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Location: Poland
Reply with quote
bobwilliams wrote:
I suggest an "Edit in External Editor" command for the Workspaces tab. Use this on a file, and the file opens in whatever external editor is assigned to that file type. If the command is chosen on its own, no auto-upload occurs; if the command is chosen with a modifier (say, shift), then the file is auto-uploaded every time it is saved in the external app. (The default state could be a pref, of course.)

This would be OK if, like I mentioned earlier, people didn't work on .psd files (:

bobwilliams wrote:
For example, its search-and-replace facility is somewhat weak, even completely unusable for many tasks. In these cases, I find myself doing a copy-and-paste back-and-forth to another app that does it better.

That's weird... I don't have any problems with search and replace.
View user's profileFind all posts by bartheqSend private message
Veteran

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 253
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Reply with quote
bartheq wrote:
This would be OK if, like I mentioned earlier, people didn't work on .psd files (:


Since the user's intent would all-around be explicit, the Photoshop issue ceases to be an issue. If you don't want the file auto-uploaded when you save in Photoshop, just use the appropriate version of the command.

Quote:
That's weird... I don't have any problems with search and replace.


Although I've run into a few bugs (which I've mostly reported), and the UI leaves some things to be desired, the biggest issue is really more the feature set. For instance, you can't do multi-line searches. My guess is, if you don't find the feature set at least a little limiting, then you're only trying to do relatively basic searches -- I find myself limited pretty much on a daily basis. But then, I got spoiled by BBEdit, which is unrivaled in this area, and developed a lot of programming habits that rely on a very powerful search-and-replace engine. For instance, with two straight-forward searches (which I have stored on a frequently-used patterns list), I can grab all the variables defined on an HTML form and then create a block of conditional $_POST-to-variable assignments on the action script that assigns them all for me. Or, I can do a search-and-replace where the replacement text is determined from a script run on the search text. I could do a lot of this in PhpED with a script, but I do so many of these sorts of things that I'd spend all my time reinventing the wheel instead of writing new code. And some things, I'm not sure are possible at all, like integrating the search-and-replace feature with the templates feature, the bookmarks feature, or the code folding feature.

Of course, this is all a bit off-topic for this thread Smile.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website


Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 72
Location: Poland
Reply with quote
bobwilliams wrote:
Since the user's intent would all-around be explicit, the Photoshop issue ceases to be an issue. If you don't want the file auto-uploaded when you save in Photoshop, just use the appropriate version of the command.

I don't want logo.psd to be uploaded but let's say logo.gif which is a result of "Save for web" in Photoshop. I'd "tell" PhpED to watch for changes in logo.gif or the whole images directory and upload in when necessary. In this case your "Edit in External Editor" wouldn't be of any use at all.

bobwilliams wrote:
Although I've run into a few bugs (which I've mostly reported), and the UI leaves some things to be desired, the biggest issue is really more the feature set. For instance, you can't do multi-line searches. My guess is, if you don't find the feature set at least a little limiting, then you're only trying to do relatively basic searches -- I find myself limited pretty much on a daily basis. But then, I got spoiled by BBEdit, which is unrivaled in this area, and developed a lot of programming habits that rely on a very powerful search-and-replace engine. For instance, with two straight-forward searches (which I have stored on a frequently-used patterns list), I can grab all the variables defined on an HTML form and then create a block of conditional $_POST-to-variable assignments on the action script that assigns them all for me. Or, I can do a search-and-replace where the replacement text is determined from a script run on the search text. I could do a lot of this in PhpED with a script, but I do so many of these sorts of things that I'd spend all my time reinventing the wheel instead of writing new code. And some things, I'm not sure are possible at all, like integrating the search-and-replace feature with the templates feature, the bookmarks feature, or the code folding feature.

I don't get most of this, especially what variables from a HTML form have to do with PhpED's limited search and replace abilities (: I handle my forms with my own class that does what I want and how I want it to be done.
If you'd like to see some of the search and replace features you talk about in PhpED just use this forum to suggest them.
View user's profileFind all posts by bartheqSend private message
Veteran

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 253
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Reply with quote
bartheq wrote:

I don't want logo.psd to be uploaded but let's say logo.gif which is a result of "Save for web" in Photoshop. I'd "tell" PhpED to watch for changes in logo.gif or the whole images directory and upload in when necessary. In this case your "Edit in External Editor" wouldn't be of any use at all.


That's definitely an edge case. It seems like the feature I suggest, along with the ability that you suggest to tell PhpED to actively watch for changes in specific files (in this case, your .gif) or directories, would handle everything elegantly, whereas either one alone leaves something to be desired.

Quote:
I don't get most of this, especially what variables from a HTML form have to do with PhpED's limited search and replace abilities


The details aren't so important as the fact that it's an example of the sort of search-and-replace operation that I do constantly but that is completely impossible in PhpED without scripting (or even totally impossible).

Quote:
If you'd like to see some of the search and replace features you talk about in PhpED just use this forum to suggest them.


I have. Unfortunately, it's one of those cases where, until you've spent a lot of time with something much better, most people simply can't appreciate what they're missing.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Auto upload file on change
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Reply to topic