NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
CTRL-V to work in Terminal

Hi,

Using PhpED 5 on Windows I can never 'CTRL-V' when in a Terminal session. CTRL-C equally fails to copy text from the Terminal. I have to select with the mouse and then use the Edit menu and 'Copy', and equally have to use the Edit menu to paste text in.

Could this be an option in the settings somewhere? I know that issuing a ctrl-c within a terminal window is sometimes useful, but I'd rather have copy/paste functionality.

Cheers,

Rich
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website

+1 from me, it's weird ctrl+v doesn't works (it works in putty, which is industry standard for terminals).
View user's profileFind all posts by NatanielSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

All key combinations you press are supposed to pass over the terminal and if the software running on the far end supports Ctrl-V it will react, otherwise it won't. Anyway, PHPED has no idea if far end supports that or not.
In case if you need to copy-paste text, you may use mouse. Select text and press wheel, or use Menu Edit->Copy, Edit->Paste.

The mouse wheel button press tip is useful - perhaps it ought to be in your 'pulitzer prize winning' documentation? Wink

I think there is a fine balance between something being 'truly useful' and something working the way it does for the sake of it. For me (and it would appear others) the option to over-ride the CTRL-V by forcing the pasting of clipboard text into the terminal would be of more productive value than the way it currently works.

I'm also curious how my SSH shell account could possibly ever react to a CTRL-V and get anything at all out of a *local* clipboard?? Surely that is an action that can only be 'forced' by the terminal client itself. If not, I'd love to hear how to configure bash (or tcsh or whatever you want) to do it.
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website

I guess the thing is some apps installed on remote server can use ctrl+v shortcut and with overriding it, you won't be able to use it.

But I don't see the reason why right-click does not open context menu with copy and paste operations.
View user's profileFind all posts by NatanielSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm also curious how my SSH shell account could possibly ever react to a CTRL-V and get anything at all out of a *local* clipboard?? Surely that is an action that can only be 'forced' by the terminal client itself. If not, I'd love to hear how to configure bash (or tcsh or whatever you want) to do it

Why bash or tcsh?
Why not to run mc in either of them?
It handles mouse clicks btw too.

Quote:
But I don't see the reason why right-click does not open context menu with copy and paste operations.

Smile feel free to post request. It's not that hard to implement this feature.