NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Save fold settings

I would like to see an option for the IDE to save (to disk) the fold settings when you close and open a file. Yes I know it'd have to save this data in a config file somewhere, for every file, but it'd be bloody useful if you ask me - and quite frankly in these days of 1TB hard drives, I can afford that space for such a useful feature Wink

Cheers,

Rich
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

right, it saves state of all folds in a config file. May I ask why do you need this to be save somewhere else? Maybe it's just enough to have such info in one place?

So it does. It's confusing because if you don't save your file before closing it, it doesn't save the folds at all. So even if the file has nothing changed in it (no * next to the file name), you have to remember to save it anyway if you want the folds saved.

Could it not just save whatever the fold settings were automatically, as soon as the file is closed?
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
It's confusing because if you don't save your file before closing it, it doesn't save the folds at all

there are four possible combinations:
Code:
file changes   |   folding changes
    0                         0
    0                         1
    1                         0
    1                         1

in latter two you're offered to save file on disk and you have two choises: save or not save...
Let's try to write how an ideal system would handle folding.

If folding changes = 1 then the fold settings should always be saved, regardless of file changes = 1 or 0.

I guess the only exception should be if file changes = 1 AND the user picks 'not save' when closing the file.
Site Admin

not exactly. what if foldings are changed, file is changed too but not saved? Definitely folding bounds that you have in the modified file will be wrong for the disk copy and therefore folding should not be saved in this case.

dmitri wrote:
not exactly. what if foldings are changed, file is changed too but not saved? Definitely folding bounds that you have in the modified file will be wrong for the disk copy and therefore folding should not be saved in this case.

If the user does not want to save file changes, then they should not save fold changes either. That is what I meant by the 'only exception'.

If the fold changes = 1 but they didn't modify the file at all, the fold changes should still be saved regardless, which they are not at the moment. I can't see how this could cause a bounds problem as the code hasn't changed?
Site Admin

ah, right, I missed that point Smile

[quote]If the fold changes = 1 but they didn't modify the file at all, the fold changes should still be saved regardless, which they are not at the moment. /quote] Correct, I agree.

Phew.. got there in the end Smile

I do think it's a worthwhile addition, although I agree not a vital one! But hopefully a quick one Wink
Save fold settings