NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Printable list of keyboard shortcuts
Veteran

This was referenced in another thread but I'd like to make a direct request for it.

Can we please have a way to print out a list of all defined keyboard shortcuts, or at least a way to save them to a decently-formatted RTF file? I'm picturing a Print button in the relevant panes of the settings window.

Any lists in the docs are only helpful if you haven't changed anything, and although there's the XML document, it would take some work to get that nicely formatted.

Like the poster in that other thread, I, too, rarely use most of the shortcuts, especially the editor shortcuts. I just don't remember them, and even perusing them in the settings window is a little overwhelming because the list is so long.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

All the shortcuts are in config\phped.cfg file which stores them in XML format (see <IDEShortCuts> and <EditorShortCuts> nodes)
I think it's not a big deal to reformat them into a text file.

I can get them into a text file and print them alright, but from what I've seen of the file, it would take some work, and more importantly, such a print-out wouldn't be that helpful since all the names are short, sometimes-cryptic labels in CamelCase - not exactly ideal for quick reference.

I think it seems odd to ask users to mess around with formatting and printing portions of an XML config file just to have a reference list of keyboard shortcuts that could number in the hundreds. It also seems slightly risky, as I can see people forgetting to backup the file before modifying it, and possibly losing their settings in the process.

You want people to get the best experience from the IDE, right? Obviously, it was an important enough issue to you to include a basic list in the docs; letting the user print (or at least export to a truly friendly format - real labels, categorization, etc.) is the next logical step.

Something like http://bullium.com/support/vim.html would be great.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Since I finally found the first vim's command (Quit) I did never run it again Smile The best set of shortcuts and too intuitive!
Regarding PhpED, it's much harder, of course. Why not to print the manual? Almost all the default shortcuts are there.

dmitri wrote:
Regarding PhpED, it's much harder, of course. Why not to print the manual? Almost all the default shortcuts are there.

My shortcuts are set to a custom set, and I really have no idea what I've changed, but I suppose it's a good start, at least.

<a minute or two later>

Erm, where is the list of shortcuts? In the Index, I see "Shortcut", "Shortcut sequence", and "Shortcuts", and none of them have a list (although they cover the appropriate topics). I remember seeing it somewhere, but... where?
Printable list of keyboard shortcuts