NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
copy & paste in the terminal window
Veteran

could you add copy and paste features in the "Terminals"?
it could work like msdos prompt in Windows:
- select text + enter to copy
- right mouse button to paste
Site Admin

Copy and Paste commands already work for terminals.
If current application being run does not support Mouse events, all mouse draggings over terminal window select text (Edit->Copy is active when there is anything selected). If current application supports Mouse, please hold Ctrl or Shift or Ctrl-Shift keys while dragging.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

I've some problems using copy and paste, usually it doesn't work.
I sue Terminals to connect to my linux server via ssh. Trying to copy and past text from the ssh console doesn't work properly in my case.

Using Ctrl or other combos some time works some time not. Moreover when I want copy or past I need to use the commands in the menu (or toolbar); ctrl+c or ctrl+v doesn't work (it's quite normal, but maybe to copy and past you could implement tha mechanism of Windows' prompt)
Site Admin

If you drag mouse over the terminal screen while holding left mouse button and Shift key on the keybord, it will select text on this screen and copy command is avaiable immediately. Starting with build 4049, all the selected data is copied to the Clipboard immediately (unless Auto Copy is unchecked in the settings for terminals). In all the builds before, you have to click Copy button to copy selected text. Ctrl-Ins or Ctrl-C do not copy locally selected text because they are passed to the backend as regular keystrokes. I'd also add that if while selecting text you hold Ctrl and Shift keys, it will select rectangular area of text.
Paste always works if there is any text in the clipboard and terminal is waiting for input.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

ok, I've the build 4048 (b4049 isn't available in my member area)

Thanks for the suggestion

Regarding paste function in terminal windows, I'm using PHPed 4.6 4617 and the only way to paste a clipboard content into terminal window is main menu: Edit->Paste. What about Shift+Ins or Ctrl+V? Or at least context menu item "Paste"?

Regarding paste function in terminal windows, I'm using PHPed 4.6 4617 and the only way to paste a clipboard content into terminal window is main menu: Edit->Paste. What about Shift+Ins or Ctrl+V? Or at least context menu item "Paste"?
Site Admin

Terminal does not know if the program you run on the far end wants those Crtl+V and Shift-Ins so it always propagates such keystrokes to there.
Although you may want to enable Auto Copy (see tools->settings->terminals) and everytime you select a text using mouse it will be copied automatically to the clipboard.

Auto copy works fine. The "copy" functionality of the terminal windows is implemented really user-friendly. But still, about "paste" feature, could it be an option somewhere in the settings (e.g. under "Terminals") whether to capture "Shift+Ins" hotkey or not while working with terminal window? Or even there could be an ability to customize this terminal-paste-hotkey, so user can set it to smth. different than Shift+Ins (e.g. Ctrl+V).
Anyway, if capturing hotkeys insted of sending them to terminal directly will break the whole conception of working with terminals Smile , then could you please at least add context menu with "Paste" item?
Veteran

As most people are used to PuTTY, I suggest to let the right mouse button do the paste job.
Site Admin

What's about Midnight Commander? It uses right button to select directories and/or files.

So, you see, the most reasonable way is to add an optional hotkey for "Paste" function, so the user can decide if he's ready to sacrifice his beloved keystroke-combination in some terminal program for ability to quick-paste.
copy & paste in the terminal window