NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
drag drop files into workspace / project from Explorer

It would be nice to be able to drag-drop a file from Explorer (say from C:\Program Files\nusphere\phped\include_lib) to the currently opened project at the location it is dropped.

Current behavior even looks like it's about to do what I expect b/c the destination drop folder is hilighted when hovered, but all that ends up happening on button release is the file opens in a new editor tab, referencing the originally dragged file/location.

thanks
Site Admin

you can clone explorer (View->Clone Window->Explorer) and drag drop between main explorer (View->Tabs->Explorer) and cloned one.
Also you can drag-drop between Workspace window and Explorer (either of them)

Thanks for the quick response.. I was not familiar with the Clone Window>>Explorer feature but have seen the same functionality in the Explorer tab. However, that's not really any more helpful. The point of my feature request is to avoid ever having to navigate anything. Picture this scenario (which happens to be what happened today)...

1. I am in PHPEd, I have my project open, and I want to try out the soap wizard.
2. I right click in my current project, select "new file" and create an empty test.php. Double click to edit it.
3. Soap wizard politely asks if I wish to generate a new file or include in current file, so I append current file.

Ahoy! There's a require_once(nusoap.php) in the generated code!

4. I fire up Windows explorer (Winkey+E), navigate to C:\prog\nusphere\includes.., and here is my breakdown:

It would be an intuitive, natural, easy, awesome basic feature to be able to drag the file from Win Explorer into PHPEd, specifically into the Workspaces/Project folder, but no. Instead...

5. I drag the file into NuSphere which just opens it from drag-source, File>>SaveAs, navigate my way into wherever my project might possibly be located (yes, I keep them in relative places). Now the currently edited nusoap.php file is an "orphaned" regular file in my IDE.
6. Rightclick my project, Add File, fortunately there I find my new nusoap.php file, and I'm good.

The issue I have is the unnecessary step of navigating around too much when it should be straightforward. You can see with my example above how the suggested cloned explorer tab wouldn't have saved me much trouble.

thanks -- keep up the good work
drag drop files into workspace / project from Explorer