NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Upgrade reminder not stopping.

I've been a user of NuSphere PhpED for a good 8 years. Ever since v16 was released, my install of v15 reminds me to purchase an upgrade every time I start the software.

I don't appreciate this. There's an option to not be reminded again, but it appears to do nothing.

Is there any way to stop NuSphere PhpED from being nag-ware?

Same thing here, this option doesn't work anymore since v16 came out.
I also use v15 currently.

Why not just pay for an upgrade and support the developers livelihood? Chances are it'll stop nagging.

probc2 wrote:
Why not just pay for an upgrade and support the developers livelihood? Chances are it'll stop nagging.

We are in our company already have the team4 license since years, also with v16, but for some internal reason we use v15.
So please don't come with such a comment, i guess the topic poster and me are long time nusphere users with valid licenses.

Fair enough. Dont get me wrong though, I have my fair share of annoyances with the product and the company behind it but i still keep paying each year for the upgrade. The original poster didn't really supply enough info. to explain the entire situation and left it simply by calling it 'nag-ware'. From the unsuspecting eye looking in it just appeared as though avoidance to pay for an upgrade was the case.
Guru master

What happens if you go into Tools > Settings > IDE > IDE Settings then untick the option for Check for new version ?

There was a bug with v14 where that didn't work but I thought that was fixed in v15.

probc2 wrote:

Umm yeah. I'll pay for an upgrade when the new version has something I need/want. When you buy a product you are not then obligated to support the makers of that product for the rest of their lives.

If this reminder box came up when i first started the program it would be a minor annoyance that I would just live with. Unfortunately it comes out of nowhere at some random point in the next half an hour when you are typing away and the focus is stolen to ask you to upgrade. And this happens EVERY single day and no setting switch stops it. Sorry but it is starting to really piss me off and I'm seriously thinking of switching to something else just on principle. I do not use frameworks which is pretty much all the newer versions seem to be about and I'm not paying good money for nothing of use to me.

In fact now I'm thinking about it if the coming version has nothing but new framework support added I'm going to look for a new program. This does not mean phped is a bad program, far from it, however after three versions adding nothing of use to me I might be better off looking elsewhere.

I should also add that of all my colleagues who use to use this program I am the only one still doing so. They have all moved on for the exact same reason. I'm the last one still being loyal to it.
Guru master

It's NuSphere DBG which keeps me using PhpED. I also use regularly use xdebug and I find that it causes problems. I think some of its inspections can actively changing how the code runs. DBG doesn't have those problems.

Yes now that you explain the magnitude of the issue i would have to agree that it is wrong and would be terribly annoying. I could just imagine what their support department is replying back to you with as well "send screenshots", and "we cant reproduce the problem". I've been down that path a number of times with them on various bugs with virtually no resolution.

If you do make a switch, and if it happens to be on of the new cloud based ide's, please do respond back with feedback on the changeover. I have considered switching on a number of occasions as well, but each competitive system always seems to be missing one key feature or another resulting in me sticking with phped.

We are switching over to PHPStorm. We testing it since 2 weeks and it's worth a try for everyone else. Free 30-days trial with full functionality.
After 5 years of using Nusphere PHPEd we finally come to the point that we must switch.

Other IDE's do huge steps forward in workflow and userbility, Nusphere is pretty much the same as 4 years before.

I checked out phpstorm a while ago, but cant remember if it has Code Snippets and Workspaces to the same degree that phped does. I'll have to go look again.

probc2 wrote:
I could just imagine what their support department is replying back to you with as well "send screenshots", and "we cant reproduce the problem". I've been down that path a number of times with them on various bugs with virtually no resolution.

Actually they did respond when I contacted them about it. They said they knew about the bug and it has been fixed in the latest version but they would not fix it in my version (14) because work on it has been closed off.

While I can appreciate that pretty much all development companies close off development work at some point for past versions they have an awful lot of their customers still working on versions 14 and 15 however this is a major bug that is causing them to lose goodwill with their customers so not fixing it is a bad business decision. Especially when it must be a very minor fix. Comment out the line of code that opens the reminder if they wanted to be quick about it.

I'll check out phpstorm too. I'd also recommend the sublime text editor to you guys. It is not a dedicated php ide but it is a wonderful editor anyway.
Upgrade reminder not stopping.