NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Does v17 allow excluding certain directories from code completion index? It is my main concern about PHPEd 16, each of my projects contain /vendor directory with lots of JS and php code that I will never need to be a part of code completion. This leads to a serious performance degradation - editor freezes for 1-2 seconds before showing code completion box.
Yes I know I can hide directory completely, but that is obviously very inconvinient with existing interface
Site Admin

if you don't use classes and functions from vendor directory, why do you need this directory visible in the project?

dmitri wrote:
if you don't use classes and functions from vendor directory, why do you need this directory visible in the project?

Some subdirectories inside /vendor need code completion and others dont need. For example I would like to use /vendor/yiisoft but exclude /vendor/bower, because it contains lots of javascript and css files that practically kill phped editing functions, because code completion takes too long.
Thats why I need some tool that can help me keep project.ppx index within 100mb limit to prevent such lags
Site Admin

I can work with projects that have 350MB ppx with no sensible delays at all. Can you send me your project so I'd see what works slow in your case?
BTW if you need /vendor/yiisoft and you don't need /vendor/bower, why don't you hide just /vendor/bower?

dmitri wrote:
I can work with projects that have 350MB ppx with no sensible delays at all. Can you send me your project so I'd see what works slow in your case?

I can not send you project because of NDA, but I think standard yii2 basic application will produce exactly the same behavior. I have Core i3 and 12 GB ram and for me delays are sensible. Each time I type $this-> or editor tries to perform completion for html attribute everything gets frozen for about a second. So it doesnt work as smooth as regular notepad.
Please understand I'm not talking about code completion speed - PhpED has always been the fastest IDE, but PHPEd is also the only IDE that freezes my editor and prevents any input until code completion popup is rendered

dmitri wrote:
BTW if you need /vendor/yiisoft and you don't need /vendor/bower, why don't you hide just /vendor/bower?

Yes, thats what I am doing now, and it works. However interface is not so friendly for that, because I can not simply select directory, I have to enter full paths manually
And I can live with that too, anyway I rarely have to edit them.
But sometimes I dont really want to hide directory, I would like to be able open files, transfer them etc. I just dont want to slow down my editor
Site Admin

Certainly you can send me your project. I wouldn't use it for anything else but figuring out what might slow the IDE down. I can assure you that that the sources will be destroyed either after two weeks of the investigation or upon work completion whichever happens first.
As of the h/w that would be my 2nd question but you almost answered it. No, the IDE shouldn't run slow on i3/12GB unless you have integrated graphics, the CPU has only two cores and/or you run some application that is resource-demanding. I have comparable h/w -- 16GB/i5 3rd gen, but the IDE doesn't use more than 3GB with such big projects, so does not matter you have 12 or 16. What matters is if you run an resource intensive application or there is something in the project that I'm not aware of. I checked what you suggested with yii2. It created only 42MB ppx and no freezes happened. Can you confirm this with this code http://www.nusphere.com/sshot/yii-advanced-app-2.0.tar ?