NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
v19 debugger performance

This is atrocious. PHPEd 19 debugger is awfully slow. Nothing more to add. Rolling back to v18.

Each and every time NuSphere releases a "new" version - they manage to shoot themselves in the foot.

The only meaningful "new feature" being support for the new PHP version. So, without adding much functionality and not addressing annoying issues OR listening to user requests, they manage to slow every new version bit by bit.
Site Admin

I'm sorry to hear that it does not work fast enough for you. I wonder how this comes - I've got a lot of reports from the customers stating v19 is working significantly faster for them. They are highly reputable customers with multiple licenses working on large projects. In particular - editor is faster, IDE startup is faster, upload/download is faster. As of the debugger, there is no reason for it to work neither faster nor slower. New functions introduced in the latest version of debugger (like code coverage) should not affect performance until explicitly invoked. So I doubt there is an issue. May be there is a sort of coincidence in your case - like re-parse activity in the background or another application running in parallel that took CPU a lot. I'd recommend you to investigate that instead of randomly switching to different versions. You can also try our support if your license is PRO or Advanced.

hello dmitri,

Thanks for the response.

I am certain you know that I've been using PHPEd long enough to be able to tell the difference in performance in every new version that you've released over the years. I would not be complaining without a reason.

There is a significant performance degradation in v19 compared to v18. I'm running both on the same (rather large) project and v19 IDE is noticeably slower when debugging the same lines of code of the identical requests. Each line execution makes the IDE blink for a split second.

I will try to gather more information for you.

Temuri
Site Admin

Will this significant degradation show up with some simple script that you can provide?

Whenever I have had slow debugging it has always been due to a project with lots of local/global variables or watch expressions that I have have deleted.

For local/global variables the debugger has to pass all of that data cross for each step, so try disabling the panels and see if performance improvements.
    I once had a watch expression using an object reference that was no longer required, but for every step the debugger was evaluating it (as it should) and causing a slowdown. Deleted that watch and all back to normal speed.
Site Admin

@plugnplay
I just tried -- it's enough to watch or evaluate a multi-line string with at least one very long line and v18 as well as any previous version would to dramatically slowdown. V19 shows much better performance in this case -- about 3 times in my test.

I was having very slow stepping while debugging as well in v19.

However, after reading the responses from dmitri, I dug a bit deeper into what the cause could be and discovered that I had a bunch of breakpoints set that were no longer needed. Some were even on files that no longer existed.

So, I'm posting this additional information in case someone else is researching this problem. If stepping is slow, check your breakpoints. Delete those that are no longer valid and/or needed and you may find your stepping speed renewed!
v19 debugger performance