NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Using different charsets

Hi!

I got the evalution copy of phpEd 3.3.2. I'm currently building a website in persian with characters from the UTF-8 charset. I used to write in
Deamweaver which handled this perfectly (or somehwhat perfectly).
However, I really enjoy the debugger support in PhpED.

In PhpED, not only do the characters scramble. But I can't save the file
or it will be totally destroyed as far as readability goes. It is imperative that
I can use utf-8 in some of my codes.

Any suggestions? Confused
Site Admin

Did phped give you any error messages when you opened/saved the file ? What is system-default code page? Is it persian too?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

The system default language (if that's what you mean) is swedish. I use the Windows XP language bar to switch my keyboard between different languages such as persian or hebrew and whatever my clients need.

There are no error messages when opening the pages. What happens is that every character that should display as persian shows up as strange characters like ¤,§ and things I can't even reproduce... Smile

If I'm supposed to change some system settings to make my new friend Ed happy Very Happy I'd appreciate a pointer or two.

This editor keeps giving me happy surprises like the code browser I just discovered. Man, I really want this one. So, if I could get Ed to play well with persian Laughing I'm there!

I noticed now that I can change the default codepage in Windows XP for programs that doesn't support Unicode. Apparently PhpED is one of those programs.

This is not good, since I might need to use different character sets with different project. I can't very well change the system default code page every time I switch between projects. That's just not acceptable. (Besides, changing codepage doesn't make it UTF-8. It makes it windows1252 in the case of persian so I still can't open my UTF-8 files in PhpED.)

Is there any chance that you will introduce _real_ unicode support in PhpED some time soon? Question
Site Admin

it's clear that PHPED does support any encoding while all the symbols can be correctly represented in currently selected system code page. E.g. UTF8 will work while it contains only characters represented in Win1252 if latter is set as the default code page... It's also clear that support for unicode was NOT introduced with phped 3.3 release...
Regarding our future plans YES unicode will be supported soon. Although can't say how soon...
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Using different charsets