NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Where should user configuration data for PhpEd be stored?
Registry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Application Data
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Program Files
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

User Settings Should be Stored under Application Data

PhpEd is one of the only applications I have which stores it's main user configuration data in the registry. Most applications store this data under "Application Data" (or "AppData"), and for good reason. When doing a re-install, most users take file-only backups, such as a copy of their user folder (ie. C:\Users\<username>). This ensures that if they ever need to restore any application settings, they can refer to their backed up Application Data. Unfortunately, PhpEd insists users take a dump of the registry before re-installing. Not only is this an extra hassle, but it's also something you're prone to forget to do. This also means you have to take a pro-active backup of this data before re-install, meaning if you need to re-install windows because you can't boot to it, then you've lost all your settings. For people who backup their user folder on a schedule, they should be able to use that data to restore their PhpEd settings.

The reason this bugs me so much is that IDE's are very configurable applications by design, and can often take a long time to get them just right as you never manage to set every setting perfectly the first time through (it's all trial and error until you're happy). I believe NuSphere should strongly reconsider where they store user configuration data as the registry just isn't a user-friendly storage location for such data.

Some comments from others and possibly staff on this matter, would be appreciated...

I would prefer PhpED saving all configuration files/data somewhere under program's(phped.exe) folder.

Lassi Into wrote:
I would prefer PhpED saving all configuration files/data somewhere under program's(phped.exe) folder.

... for best security, easy backup, maximum Vista compatibility Wink

Thomas
View user's profileFind all posts by tkahlSend private messageVisit poster's website
STRONGLY AGREE

I have been using PhpEd for some time now, and find that I have many situations where I would like to restore my settings. If it could be as easy as copying a file from an old install or a previous backup, like any other program, that would be really nice.

My stance on this has now changed slightly. I now believe it's completely brain dead for an application like NuSphere (which is almost endlessly customisable), to store it's main configuration data in such a way which makes it very difficult to backup and restore. Seriously, who's idea was it to store the main user-defined settings like this? It just doesn't make any sense at all.
please, please, yes

>IDEs ... often take a long time to get them just right

I have PhpEd home, work, and laptop. Just setting syntax colors is a major hassle, especially with the default Windows color picker. Have to write down the values and then retype them elsewhere. Work colors don't match laptop. Home copy colors are still the default: not used as often and not worth the trouble to beautify.

Please use a common standard like XML, or better a common simple one like YAML.

Something many newer editors have are themes that are customized and shared among the community. That would be more gooder here.

Thank you!

And thank you for code indent!

(also please multiple code windows viewable at the same time! With a 24" screen, I make some windows floating, but switching apps to browser or something makes a hide and show mess.)
Guru master

Highlighting colors can be transferred to other systems without much hassle: copy over the hl.cfg file from the config folder and presto.
Ow and btw, its not because the extension is .cfg that the file does not contain XML content Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

...and how many more times do I have to enter my serial number when doing an update?
Guru master

For each minor revision there is a new serial number 5.6, 5.8 etc... You only have to enter that once when upgrading to the new revision. Future builds of the same version will not require it again.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
User Settings Should be Stored under Application Data