NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] Updating to PHP 5.3 - No input file specified

I have been using PHPEd (v17 at the moment) for ages, using the local SRV server, and the php installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\NuSphere\PhpEd\php5, which is 5.2.17. Everything has been running fine.

I now need to update the local version of PHP to 5.3 to be compatible with the version installed on my host. I have downloaded and installed the NuSphere-phped-17.0-php5.3.29-Win32.exe file, which I assumed would install 5.3.29 in just the same way as 5.2.17 is currently installed.

Having made all obvious changes to the SRV settings (ie making sure that C:\Program Files (x86)\NuSphere\PhpEd\php53\php-cgi.exe is selected for "PHP 5.3 through 5.6" rather than C:\Program Files (x86)\NuSphere\PhpEd\php5\php-cgi.exe) I now get the "no input file specified" error when I try to access any of my .php, .phtml files locally.

I have spent ages googling this, and I can't find anything that helps me, nor any reason why the install from nusphere.com just wouldn't set up everything that I need to get this to work.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms what I need to do to get this running?
Site Admin

sounds like you selected php.exe in SRV configuration, instead of php-cgi.exe

Thanks dmitri, but this was not the case.

Turns out that the problem is that PHP 5.3 doesn't like opening files from my network shared drive using the mapped drive letter that has worked for every other version of PHP I have used. So using S:\NetworkData\MyFiles\index.phtml didn't work (it gave the no input file specified message), but copying the same folder to C:\ and then opening C:\MyFiles\index.phtml worked fine.

By mucking around with the dir_root in php.ini (to hold the UNC version of the page eg \\Domain\Data\NetworkData\MyFiles) I was able to get things to work correctly (other than a compatibility issue caused by the version of PHP on my server using mysql and libsql.dll, but my local machine using mysqlnd instead).

Hopefully this post may help someone else who is scouring the internet for reasons behind the "No Input File Specified" error message.
Site Admin

it may have something to do with VIRTUAL_DIR stuff then (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19014253/is-phps-virtual-directory-support-what-i-think-it-is#answer-19014591 ). For the sake of an experiment, can you try non-TS (nts) version of php 5.3 binaries available here http://windows.php.net/downloads/releases/archives/ ?

To be honest, now that everything is working I am extremely reluctant to try anything! In addition to this issue, I have had the problem I mention above - caused by differences between the version of php on my development machine (which is using mysqlnd) and that on my server (which is using mysql and libmysql.dll) - and further issues with the plugin I needed to use (which was the driving force behind the update in the first place).

I have only just got my project to the point where it will work locally and on the server (using the two different versions of PHP 5.3), and with the plugin working correctly on both.

I really don't want to touch anything else for a long while! I just want to go back to writing the code Smile
[resolved] Updating to PHP 5.3 - No input file specified