NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Updating Code Explorer tree

I often get "Updating Code Explorer tree" where the program freezes periodically (responses for < 8 seconds and the locks up for 1-2 minutes). This process typically lasts for 30 minutes to more than 1 or 2 hours, and occurs after I create a new php file within a project, or copy/paste a php project file in Windows Explorer.

I have read some of the other posts regarding this situation but none has helped resolve this problem, for example, I did not update from a prior PHPED version, nor am I running webroot. I've also tried restarting PHPED and also restarting my PC, but nothing has worked.

I'm using version 5.2 build 5232, XP Pro.

Please help.
Site Admin

Make sure that your machine has enough free (non-commited) memory.
Make sure no other processes are loading CPU.
If nothing helps, get a faster computer. Two-core CPU would be good enough.

dmitri wrote:
If nothing helps, get a faster computer. Two-core CPU would be good enough.

Come on Dmitri, you don't mean it, do you?
I am working with PhpED for years now, und suddenly I cannot use it on my laptop any more (medium powered machine, 1Gb RAM, 2 years old)! It constantly chokes while "Updating Code Explorer tree".
If you add such heavy load functions to PhpEd there should at least be a possibility to switch them off.
I also have the distinct feeling that there could be some margin for improvement of your algorithms.

Cheers, Jörg.

--
Edit:
Well - at least I now found the possibility to switch CE off:
Tools->Settings->Code Insight->Code Explorer
Site Admin

It's normal to see "Updating Code Explorer Tree" message flashing in the status bar right after the project was created or its strucutre was changed or you upgraded from another major/minor version. It may take a few dozen seconds until the IDE complete re-parsing all the files in the project and its Code Insight Includes directories, then the CPU will calm down and you shouldn't experience any problems with the editor.
For example IDE re-parses all sources of Joomla in 4-6sec (CPU E8400/3GHz/2GB RAM). The results of reparsing are cached and re-used next time the project is opened. In other words, full re-parse happens quite rarely and takes quite short amount of time. BTW, you can initiate re-parsing manually by clicking Refresh in the Code Explorer popup.
If you're experiencing problems with editor after reparsing is complete, please check Windows TaskManager->Performance tab. CPU usage should be 20% or less, and Commit Charge -> Total should be much less than Physical Memory -> Total. If CPU or memory are heavily used, switch to the Processes tab and check the process eating the resources.

Quote:
If you add such heavy load functions to PhpEd there should at least be a possibility to switch them off.

You can set Code Explorer to either Tree or List mode and it will update much faster. With Class View mode (the worst case), it has to merge the results each the sources are changed and it's what takes the time.