NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
"Updating Code Explorer tree" - Old problem not so

I know that this topic has other thread but it it was from 2007 and have not solution at all. Back in that time someone could think "just increase resource" as a valid answer, but I'm using a

Inter(R) Core(TM) i7-37709 CPU @ 3.40Ghz
8GB memory
Windows 7 - 64Bits.
PHPEd 14 professional

And simple put, I'm unable to work since PHPED IDE never ends the "Updating Code Explorer Tree" background process.

I believe I have some sort of recurrency into code, but I'm unable to find out where and how to fix it.

I'm almost giving up the money I expend on PHPEd and going back to notepad++ since it is not only slow, but reaalt annoying.

Does anyone have this problem ?
Guru master

I occasionally get a brief delay whilst doing something like creating a new folder, but I don't have a problem where it continuously updates and ruins performance.

I don't know under what circumstances PhpED instigates an update, but a few questions:

1. Are you using local (direct attached disk) or remote (file share) for your project files?
2. Could anything be 'touching' any files to make them appear changed and cause a continuous update?
3. If using a remote file share, are times synchronised across computers
4. Does it happen only with a specific project type or framework, or all projects using different frameworks?
5. Does temporarily hiding any directories using project settings disclose particular directories/files that are causing a problem?

1. Are you using local (direct attached disk) or remote (file share) for your project files?
Local
2. Could anything be 'touching' any files to make them appear changed and cause a continuous update?
No
3. If using a remote file share, are times synchronised across computers
No
4. Does it happen only with a specific project type or framework, or all projects using different frameworks?
I dont have a lote of projects. The bigger one has 25.053 files (incluinding css, jpg, gif, and others)

5. Does temporarily hiding any directories using project settings disclose particular directories/files that are causing a problem?
No. I'm using wamp, create an VirtualHost as such:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName admin.localhost
DocumentRoot "C:/works/Projetos/admin"
ServerName admin.localhost
ServerAlias admin.localhost
php_value include_path ".;C:/wamp/libs/;C:/works/Projetos/admin/libs/libs_motum"
<Directory "C:/works/Projetos/admin">
AllowOverride all
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Pretty standard project. After almost 2 hours of Updating Code Explorer tree I was able to work, but when activate another project and came back, the updating restart... Sad

Thanks for trying....
Guru master

If it is local files, then even if you don't realise it, it is possible that other applications can 'touch' files and make them appear as changed. For example, a Source Code Management system could be updating temporary files in directories and causing PhpED to re-scan those directories. It is unlikely something this is happening, but possible. Working with remote files can disable file/directory change notification, which is why I asked if you were working locally or not.

Excluding directories/files from PhpED is nothing to do with WAMP, it is a PhpED project setting. It means PhpED will ignore files. Doing that at least temporarily might find a directory or file type that is causing PhpED to re-scan.

Go into Project > Project Settings then specify the files and/or directories you want to ignore. By default my PhpED ignores a variety of SCM related files (.gitignore;.cvsignore) and directories (CVS;.svn;.git).

If you hide a large parent directory that has many subdirectories and see an improvement, you could then unhide the parent and hide one or more subdirectories to see which of those make a difference. The intention is certainly not to permanently hide anything that you need to work with, but merely to hide it and see if it makes a difference to the issue and possibly even determine if it is a PhpED problem.

To force a scan to restart for testing purposes, open the Code Explorer, right-click it and choose Refresh. Whilst scanning, hold your mouse over the bottom left icon in the PhpED status bar; it should tell you how many files there are remaining to scan. You can also click that icon for a tooltip.

Also strongly consider setting your anti-virus to exclude:

* Your project source files (the whole directory and all subdirectories)
* The PhpED project management files (particularly *.ppx, *.ppd, *.idx) or the whole directory if you store them all in the same place

I exclude mine from anti-virus and it makes a reasonable improvement to performance; for me any slowness is because I nearly always work over a network share. With anti-virus scanning my project source files, PhpED took 7 minutes to scan 15,000 files over a network share and around 6 minutes without anti-virus.

You could just temporarily disable any anti-virus whilst testing, but for a 2 hour scan something 'interesting' is going on Shocked

I'm assuming this is not a new problem and is less likely to be a PhpED bug, although it could be a design issue. If none of the above helps and you have not reported this problem to NuSphere, I recommend doing so. They might be able to provide a debug version of PhpED that would assist with finding out why it keeps scanning.
Site Admin

I agree, it looks like an issue with antivirus or your web site. Something is constantly changing your files in the projects.
Check file date/time stamps, find all files that are modified and make sure that they all are out of the porject tree or at least in a directory listed in "hide drirectories" list in the project properties.

Well... this is been quite chalenging to check. Date and time I can see that is not been changed. Antivirus is turned off. SVN can be updating... I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for trying..

Dino
Guru master

If you are techy, you could try the Microsoft SysInternals utilities to see if they give you any clues. Process Monitor could be used to show accesses to specific file paths.
Site Admin

SVN updates definitely change the files, at least its own ones. Why do you run SVN update so frequently?