NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Unwanted behavior. Auto-switch to ide view.

Hi ppl,
If any one can help me....

I use Firefox (not the embedded by phped) as my default explorer in windows 7 x64, and while I'm in debug mode with phped, when I click/run any script the explorer windows go back (switch) and focus the ide windows.

- This is happening for the last 2 or 3 updates.
- This did not happen before.
- I have not changed any settings in the ide.

How can I disable this behavior?

Thank you.
Guru master

I'm not sure you can resolve. It has been one of those little things that has annoyed me for a long time, possibly forever and certainly not just the last few versions.

It is not quite so bad on multiple monitors with the IDE on one and Firefox on the other, but many a time I've ended up typing web page form text into an editing window because PhpED stole the focus Crying or Very sad

The only redeeming thing is that at least PhpED does not immediately auto-save the changes like some other IDE's do.

I used to do desktop application development myself and this sort of thing was an on-going issue with some third-party components. Unfortunately some components would steal the focus for certain events or methods with no good reason and it is almost impossible to do anything about it unless the original developer fixes it.

I think I'll report it as a bug and see whether it gets accepted as needing to be fixed or they argue it is a feature.

Thank you @plugnplay for your help. This is definitely a bug! it is impossible to work in this way. Id really like to see what the developers have to say. Crying or Very sad

Well... I receive response from support.

Quote:
Dear Michael, thank you very much for contacting us. Could you please send us the screenshots illustrating this issue?

Shocked screenshot about what? Clearly they did NOT read my report.
Guru master

Maybe that is just an email template. Yesterday I submitted an issue to them and I've put it in as a modification request with an option to turn on/off the stealing of focus. Some people might like it like that and don't want to interfere with how they work.
Site Admin

Instead of ranting, you could at least try to illustrate.
Indeed, the report is absolutely misleading.
Quote:
I click/run any script the explorer

What do you mean under Explorer is totally unclear to me.
If you can do a screencast/movie, that would be even better.

Hi Dmitri, going by his first post and I think by 'explorer' he means browser?
Site Admin

Still unclear. I don't see scripts in my browser. I see pages, including images, texts and links.

Well, let me start again.

1 - I have a Joomla project in my workspace. (phped)
2 - Start the debug session with no breakpoint (Run in debugger)
3 - My default browser opens and I can see the loaded page for <1 second and then the ide (phped) steal the focus.

Every time I execute an action in the browser (click in a Joomla menu) phped come to the front of the screen and I have to use (ALT + TAB) or make click in the browser icon in the task bar to see the browser again

So, if I don't have set a breakpoint or php don't have throw an exception in the script, why the ide steal the focus?

Some more details.

This is happening for the last 2 or 3 updates in my windows 7 x64 machine, and please note, in previous versions if I had, or not a breakpoint, the ide never stole the focus.

I make some test in a windows 8.1 machine and this does not happen. the editor does not care if I had, or not a breakpoint, the editor never stole the focus.
Site Admin

indeed, no reason. Is there anything appearing in the log window while you're browsing and lose focus?

Only this:

Code:
Debugger   Starting debug session (418566299011600001), script: /joomla/administrator/index.php, server: localhost, sapi: cgi-fcgi   15:09:28   
Debugger   Debug session finished   15:09:28   
Debugger   Starting debug session (418566299011600001), script: /joomla/administrator/index.php, server: localhost, sapi: cgi-fcgi   15:10:01   
Debugger   Debug session finished   15:10:01   
Debugger   Starting debug session (418566299011600001), script: /joomla/administrator/index.php, server: localhost, sapi: cgi-fcgi   15:10:01   
Debugger   Debug session finished   15:10:02   
Guru master

I must admit that I *thought* I had seen this behaviour myself, at least in recent versions of PhpED if not the latest, where focus was switching even without a breakpoint being hit.

When I did my testing for the report I could only reproduce with breakpoints being hit, so I thought I had remembered it incorrectly. Confused
Unwanted behavior. Auto-switch to ide view.