NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Two Requests - IsFixedSizeAtStart & Chromeless mode

Dmitri,

I would like to request control over the size of the window at application start up but then want to allow the user to be able to control the size of the window afterwards. Currently we cannot do this. It is only fully under the user's control, or fully fixed. So PHPDock would still remember the window size at shutdown, and still write those settings to the ini file. I would use those within my script later. I would expect to see separate initial height and width settings.

Would you please allow us to switch the "chrome" on and off dynamically. (the title bar). This would allow us to have a borderless, chromeless window of which we can control the size. We need the ability to switch the chrome back on though since we only have one window that we're dealing with.

======
Rationale:

Current situation:

When constructing applications with splash screens, the splash screens appear as images or pop ups that appear over the top of randomly sized windows. The content in the windows behind the "splash" is distracting and may look somewhat distracting, disorganized or unsightly as it is being constructed. Some users have popup blockers or other software that prevent some efforts of providing splash screens from working effectively given the limitations of our interface.

Proposed Solution:

A simple solution would be to control the initial size of the PHPDock window programatically to match the size of the splash image, remove the borders and title bar and apply images or whatever to create the splash effect. Once the page has completed it's load in the background (behind the scenes), the chrome could be restored, the window sizes could be retrieved from the PHPDock.ini file, the splash effect could be removed, and the window could be restored to the user's preferred state. This would be an effective way to simulate a splash effect.

=========
Potential implementation

Something along the lines of:

[Application]
SplashModeAtStart=1 // implements chromeless, borderless mode -- a hook to the server to bring the chrome back may be necessary

[Window]
IsFixedSizeAtStart=1
HeightAtStart=
WidthAtStart=

Thanks for your consideration,

Randy
View user's profileFind all posts by randySend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
Some users have popup blockers or other software that prevent some efforts of providing splash screens from working effectively given the limitations of our interface.

Do you have any real examples when such things are happending in PhpDock?
In all my cases, no browser extensions were loaded by embedded browser, so they didn't have a chance to interfere with applications (e.g. block popups). Did you encounter something else?

Quote:
When constructing applications with splash screens, the splash screens appear as images or pop ups that appear over the top of randomly sized windows. The content in the windows behind the "splash" is distracting and may look somewhat distracting, disorganized or unsightly as it is being constructed

Perhaps, something like style="display:none" would hide the content while loading and it could be dynamically shown later.
Regarding splash and an ability to control the application window, I have some good ideas in my TODOs. Just need timeframe for this work.