NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Trouble with speed

Hello everybody,

I'm currently testing the trial version of PHPEd and I got some serious trouble with the speed. If I edit PHP files with more then 1000 lines the program slows down dramatically and my CPU last rises to 100%. Seems to me that the revaluation of the syntax highlights causes this loss of performance. I use an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 1.5gb RAM. Is this a known issue which can be solved? I've been using similar editors without such an experience, but some of the features of PHPEd really convinced me and I wouldn't like to abandon them.

Thanks,
Ben
Site Admin

I heard that this occured for some other people too and in all cases it happened under AMD cpu. Is there any chance you can run the product on Intel ?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

I'll try an Intel CPU and let you know about my experience. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've had this problem on 2 IBM Thinkpads using Intel Centrino chips. It regularly pegs my CPU at 100% and I've been unable to turn off any of the IDE or debugger settings to stop this behavior. Dmitri, any suggestions?
Site Admin

4033 hangs with 100% CPU utilization if you type angle braces without any tagname in.
Please contact us by email and get build 4037 or wait for officially released update pack #1.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

does the new patch also address the issue of phped soaking up ram?

over the course of using phped through a day, the PF usage in the performance tab of the windows task manager continually increases to 600mb more than standard computer ram usage usually untill the windows runs low on virtual memory then i close phped

although, the processes tab only lists phped as uing 10mb of ram

closing phped(takes 3 min) releases all of that 600mb of memory and when phped is started again, the memory levels are usual untill i start working with files in the application(usually takes a few hours of working with it)

It's hard to say. I upgraded to 2GB RAM right before I got the new patch. I am still having trouble with 100% CPU though so I'm going to more closely document how to reproduce it and then send Dmitri my project files. I suspect it has to do with large project files. I have 2 that are well over 2K LOC.
Site Admin

Quote:
does the new patch also address the issue of phped soaking up ram?

The latest hot fix (build 4038) addresses this problem. In particular we fixed all known memory leaks and greatly improved performace.
As before, this fix is available to our customers per request.

to Jeff:
Quote:
It's hard to say. I upgraded to 2GB RAM right before I got the new patch.

AFAIK, you received 4037 and did not contact us after that.

Quote:
I have 2 that are well over 2K LOC

We're testing with project of 1200 files and besides others there is NuSoap.php which is of 5'500 lines.
4038 shows good performance (0.5G RAM, 1.2GHz, no-HT P4).
Trouble with speed