NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] TortoiseSVN Icon Overlays

I love the explorer integration PHPEd has, especially when working with TortoiseSVN. I have been having a problem, though, with both PHPEd 4 and 5.

It seems like often times the icon overlays for TortoiseSVN disappear in my workspace tab. I would think simply hitting "Refresh" would take care of it, however I often have to do something like the following:

1. Collapse my Project view
2. Right-Click on the project and select "Refresh"
3. Wait a few seconds
4. Expand the Project view
5. Mouse over each file/folder

Sometimes it takes a different combination of those steps to get it working. Often times I can (on a single folder basis), collapse and expand the folder to get the most up-to-date overlays. This doesn't seem to work when collapsing the whole Project though.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

I have seen the same problem as yourself.

I didn't notice this problem until I updated to the most recent version of Tortoise.

I think this is a problem with explorer.exe, I think it takes care of file icons, and there is a windows API you call to get the icon. I expect PhpEd it just calling this API and getting the icon to show.

I seem to remember this is how it used to work when coding c++.

monk.e.boy

I haven't seen this using TortoiseSVN 1.4.3, Build 8645 (the latest)

It sounds like the Tortoise status cache isn't being updated quickly enough, or maybe there's a cpu contention problem. (I assume that you're using the status cache defaults?)

Look in TortoiseSVN settings :: Look and Feel :: Icon Overlays and make sure that all of the settings are the way you want them. In particular you might want to try excluding all paths and only including paths that are versioned -- I found that this improved my overall machine performance too. You might also tinker with the Status cache settings (I'm using 'default').
see... "Optimize performance"
also see... http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_sk/tsvn-dug-settings.html#tsvn-dug-settings-overlay

There's a Registry bit that you can set to have Tortoise tell you which directories it's actively caching
"HKCU\Software\TortoiseSVN\CacheTrayIcon
Set this value to 1 and restart the TSVNCache.exe process. After the cache starts up again, an icon is added to the system tray. Doubleclick on that icon to show a window with information about which path the cache is currently fetching the status for."
see... http://tortoisesvn.net/hidden_registry[/url]
Site Admin

all such problems are from icon/status cache in Tortoise.
one person suggested just to kill corresponding process and it fixes both the icon painting and performance slowdown.

@jonphipps

After setting the include paths to my local svn root everything seems to be working much faster. Thanks!
Site Admin

FYI: there were problems with Tortoise Icons under Vista, they simply were not shown in PhpED.
We fixed it in build 5025.