NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Todo list in phped

Hi,
I knew that the @todo is being picked up by the todolist in the editor,
but I accidentally noticed that if you use "todo" (without the @), you even get a checkbox in the todolist, making it markable as "done".

I was wondering if it's possible to make this work for @todo aswell, perhaps by settings somewhere orso?

I hope anyone can shed some info on this.

Regards,
Eelco
Veteran

Well, when it's done, you should remove the @todo comment... Wink

But I can't think of a reason why these two comments are handled differently.

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

because instead of TODO & DONE pair, @todo has no corresponding counterpart. So what would IDE replace @todo with when you check the item?

dmitri wrote:
So what would IDE replace @todo with when you check the item?

Well, as I said - when the task has been concluded, the comment should be removed.

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

I don't think that author would want the IDE to remove whole the comment. And even if he did, we wouldn't do this -- just because this led to very unexpected behaviour in TODO tab. You check an item and it disappears completely. Wouldn't it be strange?

dmitri wrote:
I don't think that author would want the IDE to remove whole the comment. And even if he did, we wouldn't do this -- just because this led to very unexpected behaviour in TODO tab. You check an item and it disappears completely. Wouldn't it be strange?

Well, in my case I'm the author and I would want it. Wink But I guess we don't need to discuss this further.

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

you didn't answer, but okay, as you wish.

dmitri wrote:
you didn't answer, but okay, as you wish.

Sorry, did you edit your posting? Although it is quoted completely, when reading it, just the first sentence was visible, so I couldn't answer what wasn't there... Wink After klicking on "quote", I didn't check the quoted part.

To answer your question: It would be strange if unexpected. It would be what I'd use when I knew about it. I know I have added or fixed something, so I can just mark the checkbox and the IDE deletes the now unnecessary (and wrong) comment. Great! But I can live without it, so no problem.

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

Seems you started reading while I was editing and explaining what I meant Smile
It happens.

but no, seems you didn't understand what I mean.

well, you have a comment with @todo. Then you fixed the problem the comment referred to and checked the checkbox. What IDE is supposed to do upon the click?
According to your suggestion, it should remove the comment. BUT the comment is the only thing what brought the checkbox to the list. If we remove the comment, the checkbox would get no background or source. So it would have to be removed too.
In short - you click on the checkbox and it disappears (instead of becoming checked). Wouldn't it be strange?

dmitri wrote:
but no, seems you didn't understand what I mean.

Well, in fact I did. Wink

dmitri wrote:
well, you have a comment with @todo. Then you fixed the problem the comment referred to and checked the checkbox. What IDE is supposed to do upon the click?
According to your suggestion, it should remove the comment. BUT the comment is the only thing what brought the checkbox to the list. If we remove the comment, the checkbox would get no background or source. So it would have to be removed too.
In short - you click on the checkbox and it disappears (instead of becoming checked). Wouldn't it be strange?

Not for me. For example, I have a checklist program. There I can choose what the program should do with the entries that I mark via the "done" checkbox - cross out the entry or hide it. I always use the last one - why should I want to bloat my list with the tasks that are already completed? I'd just like to know what to to next.

I do understand your point, and I don't know other users' preferences, but if you ask me, I'd just like it to work that way (you could make it an option in the preferences).

Cheers,
Jan

Last edited by Enigma on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Site Admin

then it's a kind of feature request Smile

This makes sense.
An option in the settings would be nice, and not necessarily a checkbox in the Todo listing.
For example an option could give us the chance to select the Todo item in the list, and/or just remove it (with the comment itself in the code), with a context menu option (or toolbar button nearby) labelled whatever of "Done and Delete", "Remove item" or similar.
I didn't test, but if we can hide it from the IDE with for example "@@TODO: .." (double @), so it could mark it done by adding another @ (with another menu option), it could please many Smile .
Todo list in phped