NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
To buy or not to buy.

An opportunity has come about for me to redo an old project that never saw the light of day. It's a corporate app that I wrote as a proof of concept, but the IT guys weren't comfortable with hosting PHP on the intranet. They instead paid some clown thousands to develop a simplified version as an Access database / app. It's horrible to use and has caused incompatibility and instability issues galore.

Needless to say, nobody uses it anymore and management approached me again to solve their issues.

Just recently I purchased PhpEd and NuCoder ... love em both by the way ... and I had read the phpDock information page but didn't really think much of it ... until this project was mentioned.

I got the PhpDock trial (it's too short by the way, the trial period I mean) and it neatly provides a solution. I can deploy a nucoded app to a users desktop, they use it and can even upload to an off site location and pulled back by another user at a later time. No internal server needed.

But the current version (1.5 build 1516) allows setting of the application title, but the setting only changes the text in the task bar ... the title bar still reads <page title> - NuSphere PhpDock.

I read the de-branding thread, but it doesn't mention what version they are referring to. Theres a reference to an update just weeks away but no other information. Is what I have now the update? Is there no way to lose this tag in the title bar. I'd actually prefer to have it disappear than be able to change it. If it just showed the page title and nothing else, I'd be a happy man. The less it looks like a browser, the better.

I'm waffling on, but here is the core problem. If I say I'm going to deliver, I need to be able to hand them something that isn't going to give any confusion to the staff. I mean really. With "NuSphere" in the title bar, I can pretty much guarantee you'd get help desk calls from them about my app. It's just the way they are.

Besides, the end users aren't going to need or want to know what the thing is deployed in. It's merely a distraction for them. Who you DO want to know is other developers, and I'd be more than willing (and I think others would feel similarly) to reference the software on the apps web page. There is no reason not to ... I'm not trying to pass of the dock as something I made. The dock is useless to the client without my code, so at all times my app is the product.

So my questions are :-
    1. Is there another future version offering further de-branding?

2. What is the timeframe for this possible update?

3. If I buy the current version for testing and development purposes, what will the update cost be?

I hope to hear a response soon ... because I need to make a decision soon and I don't feel I have enough info to go with this yet.
Veteran

Quote:
. Is there another future version offering further de-branding?

De-branding is coming up in the next version

Quote:
What is the timeframe for this possible update?

Can't be sure, a couple of month we think. PhpDock comes with 1 year of free upgrades btw
Quote:
If I buy the current version for testing and development purposes, what will the update cost be?

Nothng - I am sure we will do de-branding within a year Smile
To buy or not to buy.