NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Tip: php extended help (with user notes)

Some 'clever' dev removed link for this help from download page http://www.php.net/download-docs.php
Via trick : http://www.php.net/source.php?url=/download-docs.php i've got the download link: http://www.php.net/distributions/manual/php_manual_chm.zip

Use at yr own risk.

P.S. Evil or Very Mad

and do not forget to edit toc.cfg (search for "fancy" and change url to /_index.html )

+1 For stickying this!. Excellent tip
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

It's a sticky now Wink

Good tip, thanks.
Re: Tip: php extended help (with user notes)
Veteran

Vodochnik wrote:
Some 'clever' dev removed link for this help from download page

Well, I always loved to work with this extended version (and still do), but on the other hand it's from 2007-11-08 - not a very up-to-date version of the documentation... So I guess the "dev" was not quite as dumb as you think he was. Wink

I'd really love to have an updated version of the extended CHM documentation, but the project seems to be dead... Crying or Very sad

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

Quote:
I'd really love to have an updated version of the extended CHM documentation

You can build it from the CVS sources Smile
Feed with user-written comments is available too (see instructions for php.net mirrors)

Do you have some links for that by any chance? I would love an up to date manual with integrated user comments. I just use an integration command which looks up the function on the PHP website because I prefer the docs with comments, so it would be nice to be able to build an up to date version of it.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

Blizz wrote:
Do you have some links for that by any chance?

I'd be interested in some hints regarding this, too...

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

read carefully this: http://www.php.net/mirroring.php
and this http://www.php.net/anoncvs.php , especially this part:
Quote:
There are also other things, like the XML source code for the documentation, available via anonymous CVS. See the web-based view of the CVS server to see what is available. For example, to checkout the latest english version of the PHP manual:
cvs -d :pserver:cvsread@cvs.php.net:/repository checkout phpdoc

and read the downloaded stuff carefully Smile
it contains not only english versoin, of course. All languages actually.
Feed with use comments is available through mirroring (perhaps, not only),
and can be built-in if you follow phpdoc (php manual)'s own instructions.

Does someone have an updated && commented chm help file?
Veteran

Well, at the end of the last year I completely rewrote the script for generating the Extended CHM Manual. I'd really like to share it, but I'm very unsure about the legal implications. The manual itself is not the problem as it uses the Creative Commons license. The code of the generator script shouldn't also be a problem as I really completely rewrote it from scratch.

I'm not sure about the skins, though. I restored the looks of all five skins (two internal and three external skins), and some of the original JavaScript code is still used there. I contacted the maintainers of the PHP Manual, but they weren't too excited because I didn't use their PhD tool for generating the Extended CHM Manual - I did it the old fashioned way. Wink

I also tried to contact the creator of the most sophisticated skin (phpZ), Mr. Gonzalo de la Peña, using several channels, but I never got an answer. Maybe the e-mail addresses etc. I found didn't exist anymore (although I didn't get bounces either).

I could of course remove the skins and create a new one that works the way that phpZ does and looks different, but on the one hand I'd really like to publish it the way it is, on the other hand I don't have any time to work on it now. Sad

If you have any tips regarding this situation, please let me know.

For the time being, maybe you could try my version as beta testers. Laughing Please send me a PN, then I'll give you a download URL and the login details. For now this is limited to the first 25 persons that contact me; I'll think of what to do if there are more people asking for it.

If you need it rather urgently, please let me know within the next few hours. Then I'm off for a few days (short trip to France); I'll be back on tuesday.

Please note that my version seems to work on Windows only; alternative CHM viewers seem to choke on the way the user contributed notes are integrated (must have been the same with the orginal Extended CHM Manual).

And please, don't give the files you get from me to other persons, even if they are your best friends. As long as the legal stuff isn't solved, I'd like to have full control over the number of copies that are circulating. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jan
Tip: php extended help (with user notes)