NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Veteran

Hm, I'm a little bit astonished that there wasn't a single inquiry regarding the Extended CHM Manual yet. Maybe my formulation was a little bit unfortunate. Of course I'd give you the CHM Manual, ready to use, not the script I wrote for generating the Extended CHM Manual. Wink

Cheers,
Jan
Guru master

TBH I wasn't even following the thread anymore as it seemed no one had a decent solution Smile
I'd be interested in the manual (or the script if you're willing to share it). It would be nice to be able to re-generate it periodically.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

Blizz wrote:
I'd be interested in the manual (or the script if you're willing to share it). It would be nice to be able to re-generate it periodically.

I sent you the download details via PM.

For the script I'd have to write some documentation, but at the moment I don't have any spare time, so this has to wait. Also, I'd rather create a website with an "official" download of the manual that I'd generate periodically (every month or so).

Cheers,
Jan
Official site for extended chm manual

Jan, I think it would be great if you set up an official site and revived the extended CHM manual. I was sorry to see it disappear a few years ago, so it will be wonderful to see it resurrected and kept up to date on a regular basis.
View user's profileFind all posts by pointySend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Veteran

As I said, I'd really like to... But I don't want to violate any laws/licences/whatever. I guess I'll have to ask a lawyer about this.

Cheers,
Jan

Last edited by Enigma on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Thanks for the link Jan. The latest updates are very useful.

For anyone not too sure what the extended CHM manual is all about:
- the general layout is much more like a real manual, and the contents are much more accessible than the official CHM manual
- it attaches the user notes to the main manual so any search you do searches both the manual and the user notes, and treats the two separate parts as a single manual
- if you view a manual entry it attaches the associated user notes for that entry, and you can easily switch between the manual and the associated user notes
- you can choose from a limited set of skins that sets the look-n-feel and the navigation, and at least one of the skins (phpZ) shows a breadcrumb path to let you navigate through the hierarchy of the manual

There's probably more to it than that but those are the important parts I regularly use. A shame really that this project was dropped, and thanks Jan for picking it up again. I think you should get as much support as possible to kick-start this back to life. Maybe NuSphere could incorporate it into PhpED as the official NuSphere PHP manual and create a new PhpED-skin, because the current PhpED PHP manual doesn't include the user notes and the existing skins seem to be the only legal obstical to putting this back into the public domain. Maybe there's a sneaky guerilla marketing angle hidden in there somewhere?

Also, maybe NuSphere could use something similar for the PhpED manual - am I the only one having problems viewing the PhpED manual from the help menu?
View user's profileFind all posts by pointySend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

Thanks about it
PhpED PHP IDE / Windows

I'm not sure about the skins, though. I restored the looks of all five skins (two internal and three external skins), and some of the original JavaScript code is still used there. I contacted the maintainers of the PHP Manual, but they weren't too excited because I didn't use their PhD tool for generating the Extended CHM Manual - I did it the old fashioned way. Wink
Veteran

Well, it seems you posted a link here, but links are filtered out in this forum. Could you please express in another way what you wanted to say?

Cheers,
Jan
Guru master

Hi Jan,

I'd be interested in your documentation and/or script if it is still available. Smile

Regards, Neil
Veteran

plugnplay wrote:
I'd be interested in your documentation and/or script if it is still available. Smile

I sent the download instructions to you via PM. Smile

Cheers,
Jan
Guru master

Thank you, Jan, that's working great Very Happy
Tip: php extended help (with user notes)