NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Syntax Coloring (html, php)

First off, PhpED is incredible.
1. It would be much easier to read html if you offered different coloring for HTML form tags, Anchor tags, and IMG tags, like dreamweaver does. Makes pinpointing out these tags in large files MUCH easier.

2. It would also be nice for embedded inline styles in HTML docs to take on the defined CSS coloring scheme.

3. For PHP, it would be nice to offer all server vars in a different color too (ie $_SERVER, $_SESSION, $_POST, $_GET), again, makes finding them much easier.

Thanks, D.

I second that.

HTML code coloring is a saver when you have FORM/TABLE/A/IMG in a chunk of code.
It would be great if PhpEd could recognize html inside string or heredoc and linking main file with css (read layout for class and id attributes) would also save time.

It would be also good to have $_SERVER auto completition.
View user's profileFind all posts by konixnetSend private messageVisit poster's website
Third This

I would definitely say that some of the colouring in the coding of HTML and PHP could be broken down a bit more.

Essentially it needs different colouring for PHP predefined variables (ie, $this-> and $_GET, $_POST, $_SESSION, $_SERVER) and in the HTML coding it needs different colouring for the different HTML tags.

While I love PhpED's script navigation and parsing of methods, variables, and functions, I have yet to find a text editor that is as easy to read as Dreamweaver. I'm sure there's some people out there that just think it's because I'm simply used to Dreamweaver and I have trouble adjusting, but DW's code highlighting and colouring breaks down the code in a VERY easy to read fashion because it separates the PHP predefined functions, variables, operators, and controllers from the rest of the code and colours each one of those differently. The code navigation almost isn't needed with how well it displays the code although I wish DW had it.

Autocompletion on $_SERVER would definitely be a nice feature.

These additions plus an HTML WYSIWYG interface would convert me from Dreamweaver immediately.

Hi fellas,

I respectfully disagree. While the three of you seem to be focused on visual design, this tool is NOT. There is a reason you don't want to use Dreamweaver. I don't know what that is and don't care to speculate. The reason I disagree is that I don't really want to the developers of the BEST PHP IDE on the planet to make it an all-in-one design tool just like Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver already does all of those things you want so go use that one instead. This is a PHP IDE and it should stay that way IMHO.

Thanks for listening.

Randy
View user's profileFind all posts by randySend private messageVisit poster's website

I see your point randy.

Good thing is that Zend is now available on Eclipse, and there is a bunch of really good addons for html/javascript on Eclipse too.
So if someone wants more...
View user's profileFind all posts by konixnetSend private messageVisit poster's website

Yes. You are so right. There are many alternatives. I've used Eclipse for a long time but only when I MUST. It's buggy, slow (JAVA) and kludged together. But hey, it sure does "look like" it all fits nicely together. The only version I'll touch is Aptana for Javascript coding. If you haven't already, go try Eclipse out. The more plugins you pile on the slower it gets and the faster it crashes. You'll see. Then you'll be right back.

If my dream were to come true, I would try to convince NuSphere to hire different dev teams to create completely different tools using the exact same UI framework as PphED for things like:
- a Javascript Editor
- a Communications Manager (Sync, FTP, sFTP, WebDAV, Etc)
- a Verisioning Integrator (CVS, SVN) tool
- a Visual Designer

The Comm manager and versioning system would be combined to provide Team support for multiple developers. They already have many of these things built. If they put them is separate UIs as separate tools, they then could more easily integrate them into a suite later on.

Randy
View user's profileFind all posts by randySend private messageVisit poster's website

randy wrote:
Hi fellas,

I respectfully disagree. While the three of you seem to be focused on visual design, this tool is NOT.

Yes, but I'm not asking for a design tool. HTML, JS, CSS are all a part of integration with PHP, AND PhpEd already has syntax coloring for all 3 of these. I'm simply asking for a few more schemes to be added to what is already there. If you believe JS, HTML and CSS have no part in PHP, of PhpED, I strongly disagree Wink Using crapweaver is out of the question. Switching between apps for just the syntax coloring and having to upload between them is a workflow reducer.
Cheers.

I think dolphyx that you're absolutely right.
Switching between aps is tiresome and prevent me from doing a job (instead I spend time looking for better program).

If PHPEd would include such features as presented here, I wouldn't mind paying it double since it is a time saver and very good win app.
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm simply asking for a few more schemes to be added to what is already there.

It was discussed many times there and we've already added it into the plans, although not with highest priority.
Same goes to support of various colors for different group of tags.

Thanks Dmitri!
Now... if you could maybe push it up the priority list a bit? Laughing

Go Dimitri, go!

some more control over the code coloring will be much appreciated by everybody I think Very Happy
and also highlighting of the different html tags will be good.. like the {} or () highlighting..