NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

I just ran into a blocking lack of a feature: how do I commit multiple, independent, files? I need to select multiple files, independently, and commit them all in the same commit...

I can select-ish multiple files (some don't fully highlight as selected), but the moment I right click on one, every other files deselects! This is a feature I absolutely need to have. Our SVN commits are all tied to tickets. I can't do global commits here.

If it matters, seems it does, one of the directories I'm selecting is a whole new directory to be added. I just can't get that directory *and* other directories, and files, selected to be committed. I'm using cntl-click (not right-click) to select multiple files/folders.
Site Admin

Ctrl-Click would help select multiple files in the Workspace.
They all must be on the same tree level. Unfortunately Windows Shell does not support items located in different subdirectories.
On the other hand, why don't you commit the topmost directory? As far as I understand it will commit only changed files.

dmitri wrote:
Ctrl-Click would help select multiple files in the Workspace.
They all must be on the same tree level. Unfortunately Windows Shell does not support items located in different subdirectories.
On the other hand, why don't you commit the topmost directory? As far as I understand it will commit only changed files.

Same tree level. I see. I guess this is one limitation of using Explorer vs. a self-built navigator. I'll see if I can deal, but definitely can't resort to committing one file at a time because I can't select cross-project.

As for topmost? It's because I have a lot of changed files, related to several different tickets. And, at times, files in difference branches/projects related to the same ticket. Sometimes it's a simple 3-4 files, across multiple directories and/or projects that needs to be checked in within the sea of several dozen edited files.
Site Admin

Explorer is not involved at all.
In the Shell Menu you invoke the commands integrated through the Windows Shell API http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773177(v=vs.85).aspx
As far as I know Windows Shell allows to run commands on multiple items in the same parent folder only.

I don't know how it's done, as my limited C++ knowledge doesn't really make me put me in a proficient "windows developer" category... but I use DirectoryOpus for a file manager.. and if I select the 'Grouped' flat view (ie: a tree view).. I can select multiple files in different dirs and use the TortoiseSVN shell menu to commit all files from multiple directories.

As I say, how this is achieved, or what differences between PhpED's tree and DOpus's tree make this possible, I really have no idea.. but maybe food for thought somewhere? Smile

Cheers..

Ian
Site Admin

That's interesting, indeed. Thanks.