NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Suggestions to improve Indent guides

While initially exited about the indent guides I quickly turn them off and here's why:
1) The cause the Editor to flicker badly. Using Classic theme and standard font. While editing there is too much flicker going on drawing the lines
2) The indent guides should be smarter. Inside a function it does not need to show the guides for the rest of the file. Inside a if-construct it shouldn't display the guides for the rest of file. If possible, the guides should follow the scope going up in hierarchy.

Anyway, 13 seems to be a nice release.

/Mattias

And it seems that the theming color options for the indent guides seem not to work.
No matter what (light) color I choose, they always are rendered black.

Estigy wrote:
And it seems that the theming color options for the indent guides seem not to work.

And also pretty thick. Should be possible to have a solid 1px line perhaps?

Yeah, right...

I already sent them a bug report.
Guru master

The guide colour settings work fine on my screen; I set both the active and inactive to really light colours.

They do flicker a bit, but I didn't even really think about it until you mentioned it. With the light colour that I've used it is hardly noticeable.

Estigy wrote:

It does work but not as one would expect. Changing the color seems to change the background color of the dots, not the color of the dots which is what I would have expected. I was also excited about this feature but turned it off pretty quickly as it is too heavy and distracting. Prefer to have it a very light color so that it is not that obvious. Dmitri, can this please be changed or use smaller dots?
Site Admin

It looks like a bug in your graphics card drivers. Check for updates.

It's not the graphics card - just downloaded latest drivers and the issues still remains. Tested on different computers.

On further testing I found that changing the "Quality" setting to "non anti-aliased" fixes the issue for the color and applies the color to the dots and not the background. But in "non anti-aliased" the text is rough and hard to read so it's not an option. I can't seem to add any images to show you but happy to lodge a bug report. I think the issue is more related to the character or encoding for the indent dot (which is not actually a dot but a small bar). Other applications I have, eg UtlraEdit, use a much finer dot that does not seem to be impacted but what font size or font you use, while in PhPEd, if you make the font size bigger the indent dots get bigger as well. In theory, and imo, the indent dots should just be faint lines or dots totally unrelated to the font choice or font size or quality of the font.

I think a little more troubleshooting along these lines may help to uncover the real culprit.......

Last edited by waynes on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guru master

That's an interesting point, waynes. I use high res monitors with small text, so I didn't realise that making the text bigger also made the lines thicker. Sometimes I like to work with larger text; wish I could ctrl+mouse wheel up/down to quickly change font size. Might put that in as a feature request.

I too have much flickering, but thank you so much for finally implementing this!

Noticed that it is just not the lines either but the collapsable plus / minus and also the green and yellow bars that indicate what segments of code have been updated / saved.
Site Admin

waynes wrote:
It's not the graphics card - just downloaded latest drivers and the issues still remains.

Then the latest are buggy as well or there is a 3rd party software that affects this funcitionality.
This is very simple call to TransparentBlt. I as absolutely NO way how changing font would affect it. No Way. I'ts definitely a bug in underlying level.
Anyway it works fine here under XP 32/64, W7 32/64, W8 32/64, W8.1 32/64 and under VmWare as well. I checked through Windows Terminal and didn't find any problems. All font and color combinations work as intended.

dmitri wrote:
waynes wrote:
It's not the graphics card - just downloaded latest drivers and the issues still remains.

Then the latest are buggy as well or there is a 3rd party software that affects this funcitionality.
This is very simple call to TransparentBlt. I as absolutely NO way how changing font would affect it. No Way. I'ts definitely a bug in underlying level.
Anyway it works fine here under XP 32/64, W7 32/64, W8 32/64, W8.1 32/64 and under VmWare as well. I checked through Windows Terminal and didn't find any problems. All font and color combinations work as intended.

I will log a bug report with images.
Suggestions to improve Indent guides