NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
start_session() problem

When I run the following code inside the php IDE...

<?php

session_start();
$_SESSION['username'] = 'foob';

?>

I get the following errors:

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp\sess_60a77f03ceca8ef77695a2370313018d, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in X:\ARC\__admin\noname1.php on line 3

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at X:\ARC\__admin\noname1.php:3) in X:\ARC\__admin\noname1.php on line 3

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at X:\ARC\__admin\noname1.php:3) in X:\ARC\__admin\noname1.php on line 3

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at X:\ARC\__admin\noname1.php:3) in X:\ARC\__admin\noname1.php on line 5

Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp\sess_60a77f03ceca8ef77695a2370313018d, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

What do you think the problem could be?

Elliot
View user's profileFind all posts by elliotonehouseSend private messageVisit poster's website

Hi ddmitrie and gang,

I managed to figure it out! I am on a Windows machine and a line in php.ini file needed to be changed to reflect the location of the temporary directory on my machine:

The following line...

Quote:
session.save_path = /tmp

needed to be changed to...

Quote:
session.save_path = "C:\WINDOWS\Temp"

'
Elliot
View user's profileFind all posts by elliotonehouseSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

you're right.

btw, do you run php shipped with phped ?
I remember we fixed this problem. The default php.ini contains wrong setting and we have corrected it, at least should be in phped 3.2 update pack #1.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Yup, I haven't installed the update pack yet. I have been having problems with my login, so I haven't been able to download it, but I just got an email from Jay Park stating that the problem is fixed. So, I will download and install it today.
Site Admin

session_start() can't be called from a freely selected location. Take a look at the php documentation for the details.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Re: I get the same errors

ja1clark wrote:
session.save_path = "C:\Program Files\nusphere\apache\logs\sessions"
and the durcetory is there.

Warning: session_start(): open(C:\Program Files\nusphere\phpED\php\sessions\sess_b662ba92968fc6f89574a6c2cb0fd27d, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in C:\Program Files\nusphere\apache\htdocs\Source\authorised.php on line 2

You are looking at the wrong php.ini because the php you are using is looking for C:\Program Files\nusphere\phpED\php\sessions (which doesn't exist), not C:\Program Files\nusphere\apache\logs\sessions (which exists)
View user's profileFind all posts by netgertSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Site Admin

if you use TechPlatform take a look at
Code:
C:\Program Files\nusphere\apache\php.ini
file

if you run SRV server you should take a look in
Code:
C:\Program Files\nusphere\phpED\php\php.ini
file.

then make sure that the directory specified as session.save_path exists.

Last edited by dmitri on Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

it seems he/she is looking at TP's php.ini while actually using SRV's php.ini. so probably he/she should use TP's apache server as server or continue to use SRV and create the "sessions" folder in C:\Program Files\nusphere\phpED\php
View user's profileFind all posts by netgertSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Solved

so when I delved deeper I was looking at the wrong php.ini file - I was looking under apache and not phped. I still had to manually add the sessions directory however.

Perhaps this was caused by my confusion about the apache server - I have it installed as a service and automatically running. Is this necessary for debugging or does the debugger start up an instance by itself when invoked? Is this why there is a separate php.ini in the phped directory?
start_session() problem