NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
ssh through ssh - probably a customer if I get this resolved

Hey guys, here's my setup --

1) php-debug successfully installed on a Linux-based web server on a university campus (this machine is not accessible outside the campus -- so I cannot directly ssh into it). Let's call the host name of this internally-accessible webserver / machine "internal@univ.edu".
2) PhpED running successfully on my laptop, completely off campus (assume I am in China, and the university is in Kansas Wink )
3) I have SSH access to a linux-based machine on the campus, from off campus. Let's call the host name of this externally accessible machine "external@univ.edu".
4) Once I am ssh'ed into external@univ.edu, from there, I can easily ssh into internal@uncc.edu if I want to.

What I need to be able to do is debug PHP code running on the "internal@uncc.edu" webserver from off campus. But like I said, I cannot directly ssh into this machine. The only machine I can ssh into from off campus is external@univ.edu. But I repeat, once I am ssh'ed into external@univ.edu, from there, I can easily ssh into internal@uncc.edu if I want to.

I know this might be confusing. Basically, I need to be able to ssh into a machine, and from there, ssh into the machine running php-debug. Then, I need this machine to communicate with my laptop so I can debug.

How can I possibly set up PhpED to deal with this setup? I have Putty.

If I can figure this out, I'll probably be a customer. Of course, I'll need clear instructions, especially for Putty.

If this jump starts anything -- I already have a SOCKS 5 proxy set up in Putty so I can view web pages on my laptop as if I was on external@uncc.edu.

quick&dirty:
on external@univ.edu do:
ssh internal@uncc.edu -R 7869:external.edu:1007

it will create port forwarding over ssh from internal:7869 to external:1007.
Then read this: http://www.nusphere.com/kb/technicalfaq/howto_run_dbg_ssh.htm

It should work. Do not forget to open ports in firewall etc.

I would write step to step howto, but i must see that it's really required Smile