NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Spell Checking tool for PhpED?

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a spell checking tool to PhpED?

I seem to always be checking/editing the spelling of words used in message and comments.

I am not looking to add this as a feature to PhpED although that would be nice I am more interested in using the integration feature of PhpED to take an exiting spell checker and integrate it with the IDE.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful

Thank you

indeed!

considering most programmers I know are absolutely AWFUL spellers, this is an obvious oversight.

Even something simple would be nice.

ev

Auto spellchecking for everything even text in strings wont work as most of the tokens in code wont make any sence in english however i suggest adding 'Check spelling' right click menu item for selected text.

This way you can do following:

for code

$order->getBookingReferense();

you select text "Referense", right click, select 'check spelling' and see that it supposed to be "Reference"

All these years i had to do similar thing to check spelling but instead of right click check i was actually copying text to another application which supports spellchecking to see if there're any problems.

short cut for spellchecking of selected text is a must too

alexei wrote:
Quote:
$order->getBookingReferense();

you select text "Referense", right click, select 'check spelling' and see that it supposed to be "Reference"

Code completion should catch this if the class is defined locally.

However this is not what I am looking for although I do like you idea of a right click menu option.

What I want is spell checking the comments. I can't count the number of times that a misspelled word in my comments has caused me grief either from another programmer or the tech writer who is using the comments to write documentation. If I had to highlight the string of test to spell check that would be OK. PhpEd IDE has a great facility for calling external programs and passing selected text to the called program but I can't seem to get it to work for a spell checker.

David

Valid comment about code complete, this is why i rely on it so much as there were already situations when original function was mispelled whether by me or someone else and if i was to write its name correctly new code would break. So, it is safer to always use codecomplete. However spellcheсker is good to have correct name for the original functions in the first place.

As for code completion in comments i agree, most of the time it is plain english text there, however sometimes there're function/class names mentioned in commetns too but you can just ignore them being highlighted as mispelled.
spell chekcing is a must-do

I was working an another project and was forced to use Rapid PHP 2010 by Blumentals. I have to admit it kicked ass in a few areas and spell checking was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

Regardless of what "technical reasons" you may not want to do it, just do it.
Spell Checking tool for PhpED?