NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
smartSync - my feedback

Hello!

I've been extremely excited about the all new SmartSync, a feature I really wanted to have in PHPEd for a long time.
After playing around with it, I noticed three things:

• I believe it's not possible to exclude single files from the sync. E.g. /status.txt. So far I only found out how-to exclude folders or file-masks. Am I missing something?
  • The SmartSync returns strange scan results. One time it reports (correctly) that all files are in sync, sometimes a few files in a folder get detected as newer on the server. Whenever I repeated the scan, the files in a different folder got reported. This was on SFTP and also on a PureFTPd server (different machines). I believe some folders cause an exception or something, but it's hard to tell without detailed debug logs.
  • ProFTPd doesn't support setting date/time after an upload, so it would be a good addition to let PHPEd touch the local file after the sync (SyncBackPro offers this option and it's the only way to properly sync with ProFTPd). This problem could also get tackled by running an actual diff after the initial sync. If they are identical, ignore. I'm aware that this method isn't easy on local resources.

Thanks for reading!
Re: smartSync - my feedback
Site Admin

frame wrote:
I believe it's not possible to exclude single files from the sync. E.g. /status.txt. So far I only found out how-to exclude folders or file-masks. Am I missing something?

sure. The key word is "masks". You can list filenames there too. Not only say *.txt, but also my*.txt as well as status.txt

frame wrote:
The SmartSync returns strange scan results. One time it reports (correctly) that all files are in sync, sometimes a few files in a folder get detected as newer on the server. Whenever I repeated the scan, the files in a different folder got reported. This was on SFTP and also on a PureFTPd server (different machines). I believe some folders cause an exception or something, but it's hard to tell without detailed debug logs.

If you think that something is incorrectly detected, please contact support and provide the details.

frame wrote:
ProFTPd doesn't support setting date/time after an upload

Who said? It supports that perfectly well, until you digged up a version from the stone age. And no, it does not make sense to touch local files in such cases, because you may get huge problems with your source control systems (if you use them)

Masks: See screenshot: http://serialkiller.org/flow/pics/capture_20130327_152618.jpg
I don't see how I can exclude a file. Can you please provide step by step instructions?

SmartSync issues: How do I contact support? I though this is the support site?

ProFTPd: I don't understand why your response is so unfriendly.
ProFTPd (used in every CentOS setup) doesn't support setting dates, unless you add a custom module, which many hosters do not allow.
See here for the official stance: http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/Timestamps.html
Site Admin

Quote:
SmartSync issues: How do I contact support? I though this is the support site?

can't be easier:
http://forum.nusphere.com/no-bug-reports-here-t8134.html

frame wrote:
I though this is the support site?

ProFTPd: I don't understand why your response is so unfriendly.

Well, this is no "real" support forum, see forum.nusphere.com/no-bug-reports-here-t8134.html. About this fact and about the sometimes rather rude tone here we discussed in November in the thread forum.nusphere.com/where-how-to-report-bugs-rants-bashing-yellow-press-etc-18-t8641-24.html (which Dmitri promised to rename to something more neutral back then Rolling Eyes). It's a pity that nothing seems to have changed since then although in an e-mail Dmitri said he'd work on it...

Cheers,
Jan

Enigma wrote:
Well, this is no "real" support forum, see forum.nusphere.com/no-bug-reports-here-t8134.html. About this fact and about the sometimes rather rude tone here we discussed in November in the thread forum.nusphere.com/where-how-to-report-bugs-rants-bashing-yellow-press-etc-18-t8641-24.html (which Dmitri promised to rename to something more neutral back then Rolling Eyes). It's a pity that nothing seems to have changed since then although in an e-mail Dmitri said he'd work on it...

Cheers,
Jan

Jan, what I care about is that I get a professional reply from the people I bought a SUPPORT LICENSE from. It's normal that there are bugs or user-mistakes with point releases, I'm the last person who gets mad about this of even thinks that I made no mistake. But what drives me nuts is reading a reply like "who said" and "stoneage". That's just plain unfriendly and insulting.

My questions didn't contain any bug reports, so I felt it would be OK to post them in the forums.
Veteran

frame wrote:
Jan, what I care about is that I get a professional reply from the people I bought a SUPPORT LICENSE from. It's normal that there are bugs or user-mistakes with point releases, I'm the last person who gets mad about this of even thinks that I made no mistake. But what drives me nuts is reading a reply like "who said" and "stoneage". That's just plain unfriendly and insulting.

My questions didn't contain any bug reports, so I felt it would be OK to post them in the forums.

Hm, either I'm misunderstanding you or vice versa. You're pushing at an open door, I'm absolutely on your side. And I'm not a NuSphere employee. Wink

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

Quote:
That's just plain unfriendly and insulting.

No, I didn't mean anything like that and sorry if you took it like that. Indeed, my answers are short, but it's because I have no time to write long, sorry again.

Quote:
Masks: See screenshot: http://serialkiller.org/flow/pics/capture_20130327_152618.jpg
I don't see how I can exclude a file. Can you please provide step by step instructions?

You can try */status.txt
IDE matches FULL file name (with FULL path) here.

Seems this is not good because one may want to exclude filename in a particular directory and not all files under same name in the project. In this case it would be necessary to have full filename here which binds the project settings to a particular location on the disk which in its trun makes it harder to share or move the project, or you have to always put * in front of each mask. I think we'll change this in future to have it matching relative filenames, I mean relative from the project root. Meanwhile, you can use any masks, like above, or say */some/sub/path/filename.ext