NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Site Admin

the IDE is busy moving the breakpoints down and updating the debugger with new line info. Each new line causes an update. If your network is slow and text contains a lot of lines, such updates may take significant time. I recommend you to stop debugging before inserting any large texts. You may also want to try with a better ISP or try to minimize network usage while debugging.

I am working locally - network transfer is not involved.

This was not happening in previous version of PHPEd - I have never had to stop debugging to insert a new line.

I now recall that in previous versions breakpoints were not moving with the new lines. And that was not much of a problem. Freezing IDE, however IS a problem.

Would it be possible to give us an option to revert to previous behaviour.

Just put yourself in our place - I'm debugging and I have tons of variables, watches and so on. And I need to write code above a breakpoint. Stopping the debugging session would defeat the purpose of debugging, don't you think?

Thanks.
Site Admin

This worked in the same way in previous versions of phped as well.
Why it is slow now -- is up to your machine in this case. Try to uninstall AV and firewall and check again. Perhaps they slowdown the communication.

No, in version 10 - the last version I used before trying out v14 I did not have this issue. Breakpoints were not being relocated.

Would it be possible to give us a switch to revert to previous behaviour?

It is much quicker to relocate a breakpoint manually than have this this done automatically, the way it's now.

I do not have firewall, antivirus or anything of that kind. Version 10 works perfectly fine on the same PC.

Any chance of fixing this?

Thanks.
Site Admin

v10 worked this way too, it did move breakpoints.

I see.

Can you then confirm that updated versions of DBG generate MUCH higher volume of net traffic?
Site Admin

Traffic is almost the same. If you didn't have this problem in a previous version, check AV and firewall. It's aslo possible that you forgot

Last edited by dmitri on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

alright, thank you.

I'll verify this once more on a clean Windows install and will let you know.

Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of the issue.

Do you think that there's chance that this breakpoint position recalculation and the slowdown of variable tooltips might be related?
Guru master

Hi Dmitri, at some point (maybe the first v14) this slowed down for me as well. I think I started seeing this problem around the same time I started using beta v14's.

However, for me it is slower on a high-res (1920 x 1200) remote desktop session (Windows 8.1 RDP to Windows 7) than it is if I am using PhpED directly in the Windows 8.1, both of those PhpED's going to the same remote LAN server. I do wonder if the RDP is slowing down the redraw enough for me to see the problem. That issue might also be shown on slower graphics cards/drivers.

I've always used remote desktop with PhpED (only recently installed it on my local desktop) and it hasn't always had this issue.

If I insert code above a breakpoint whilst debugging, the breakpoint moves down then back up again to be on the same line number, so I'm guessing you are keeping breakpoints aligned with whatever is currently executing on the server, despite the statements might no longer match?

Bearing in mind the modified code might not match the server anymore anyway, I'm sort of inclined to say moving the breakpoints would be preferable for myself. I realise they won't match the server for that debug session, but when I stop and restart the session, I would like the correct breakpoint positions, but now they are incorrect due to my insertions.

dmitri,

I've tested this issue on a clean Windows, without any firewall/antivirus software. I was running PHP5.5 in a VirtualBox under nginx/php-fpm/Ubuntu 13 64bit on the same machine. No network transfer was involved.

Exactly the same result. IDE nearly freezes when breakpoint positions are recalculated.

My workstation is very powerful and has plenty of RAM. In exactly the same environment PHP v10 did not have this kind of issue.

Looks like there is a problem. Do you plan to investigate it?

Thanks.

dmitri,

can we please have an official word on this - do you plan to address this problem?

Thanks.
Guru master

I've just tested the latest beta release and on my hi-res remote desktop PhpED there is a significant improvement in the update speed of the editor whilst debugging even with lots of breakpoints further down the file (I added a few Wink)

My local desktop PhpED was always fine with this issue, but that is a very fast 2D display adapter, so at least in my case I believe the issue was related to many display updates whilst the editor was redrawn multiple times and remote desktop is a lot slower with display updates.

Possibly a computer using something like low performance/power integrated graphics might be slower and see the issue more easily. Occasionally I've even seen displays that for some reason have optimisation turned off or at a low setting; that can severely impact display performance.

The 'fix' in this beta version would appear to have been a dramatic reduction in the number of display updates. I guess after some more testing of that and other recent fixes, this will be seen in a new production release of PhpED in the near future Smile
slowing down inserting lines in the middle of debugging