NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Show longer path on tabs if opened files has same filename

Typically in MVC frameworks we have
controller/item.php
model/item.php
views/item.php
and usually you have to work with all of three of them simultaneously, so it is a big problem to identify the right one if they all ar opened.

It would be great if phped could detect same filename and in that case show parent directory name on the tab (even if tab will be longer, it still be more useful than now)
If also previous directory matches, it could show parent directory of directory and so on...

As an example i attached image, to see how this is realized in Sublime Text 2 editor.

Thanks
Guru master

+1

+1

How do you switch the tabs?

When using mouse, there is something like a title tag for that tab with full path to the file when hovering
and using Strg+Tab there is the fulle path in bottom of popup window.

greets
Guru master

My personal experience with for example Magento sites (Zend Framework) is that a lot of files have the same names, plus the full names can have quite deep subfolders and therefore be very long.

C:\apache\htdocs\magentosite\app\code\core\Mage\Catalog\Helper\Category.php
C:\apache\htdocs\magentosite\app\code\core\Mage\Catalog\Model\Category.php

(these are shorter examples; the paths of some files go a lot deeper!)

If I was working on multiple Magento modules at the same time (which is often the case) then I could have a multitude of similarly named files.

It is possible to see the full path when hovering the mouse over the tabs, but the list that is shown when you Ctrl+Tab uses ellipsis to shorten long folder names and unfortunately that hides the folder name that I really want to see.

When there are maybe 8 or more files open at the same time it would be very slow to hover the mouse over each tab or use Ctrl+Tab to select from the list.

Quite often just being able to see the subfolder name with the filename would be enough to uniquely identify the required file more quickly. Having a setting in PhpED so you could choose how many subfolders are shown would make it more flexible for different circumstances.

At the moment I drag & drop the tabs into an order that helps me know which is which, but sometimes PhpED changes the order of the tabs by itself.
Guru master

Another option that would work well for me is a panel to display just the open files, or an option in the Workspace panel to display just open files.

Bitseekeer.
Sublime Text 2 editor example with showing parent categorie(s) is 10x more practical than iterating through 15 files using Ctrl+tab and reading dull path .
Don't you think? Smile

plugnplay.
Maybe i didnt understand you correctly, but there is no reason to show full path, just the parent directories until paths diffs again as in Sublime example
Guru master

Hi Bitseeker, when I say subfolder I did just mean the parent folder, not the full path. Smile

So being able to see:

Helper \ Category.php
Model \ Category.php

Having the choice of showing maybe further parent folders might sometimes be helpful.

The more I think about it, I think I'd be happier keeping the tabs as they are and having a panel showing just open files, but still with the ability to display the shortened paths. I often have lots of files open and I think longer tabs will annoy me.

+1

What's killing me is that in v6.0 it was working the way it should. It got messed up several releases ago.
Guru master

I've still got 6.0 installed on a test system and it seems to work exactly the same as 6.1

They've finally fixed it in the 6.2 6234 build.

temuri wrote:
They've finally fixed it in the 6.2 6234 build.

Just installed new build 6234 and still see no changes, all the tabs with same name looks same.
Could you tell me please how you enabled this feature or please could you attach screenshot?

Here is i see tabs and i have latest build
Show longer path on tabs if opened files has same filename