NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Should window management be addressed systemically?
Yes, it's not easy enough to find/delete/navigate/rearrange tabs
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Perhaps, but there are more important things to do first
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
No, just fix this one little thing about windows or tabs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, I'm happy with the way things work in 5.5
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

Over the months that I've been using PhpED, I've seen a variety of requests that all relate to window management. The most recent one I remember was about using mouse-clicks to close tabs, with the related idea of adding a close box as in Firefox. There have been other requests about making it easy to close large numbers of files, perhaps through a dialog, perhaps by being able to close all files in a project or directory. There are also issues around navigation order, whether the tab scroll arrows should be there and should they be at either end or together, and so on. Navigation order is another issue, and I think the pop-up when holding down CTRL and hitting tab is a response to such requests (within the last year, if I'm not mistaken).

Many of these requests have been one-offs, which limits their individual popularity and which doesn't address the window management problem as a whole. So the question is: Should window management, meaning the entire problem of finding, closing, reopening, navigating through, searching within open tabs, etc. be addressed as something that needs enhancement? Instead of "add my favorite feature", identify the variety of user stories that relate to this, then solve them.

there are a few missing features when it comes to tabs (IMHO).
* No "Close All" function (great for when you have finished one thing in a work space and are off to start something new)
* No Close button on tabs themselves (though this increases the chances of accidentally closing a tab)
* No docable window list

I personally would do away with using tabs if we had a docable window list feature Smile

I believe though that the basics are there for good window management and in general it works well

Edit: I just right clicked on a tab and found two of the three options I wanted above... Smile