NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] should undo show cursor movements?
Veteran

I think when you undo/redo changes phped should undo/redo just the real changes and not the cursor movements; not?
Site Admin

Try to check Group Undo in the editor settings.

I have the same issue... it's not the GROUP UNDO feature. I understand what that feature does, and I like it. The problem is that the "undo" will actually "undo" your cursor movements as well.

For example, if you open an existing .php file and (without making any actual modifications to the file) click around in various spots, repositioning the cursor, you will then be able to use "undo" multiple times to "undo" your cursor movements. Is there any way to make the undo behavior ignore cursor movements and just undo actual modifications that occur?
Site Admin

Quote:
Is there any way to make the undo behavior ignore cursor movements and just undo actual modifications that occur?

No and it will not be supported. Personally I find it cumbersome when an editor just removes all changes without prior cursor movement to the position where it's going to revert the changes back. In other words, I like when editor first puts cursor to the position and then rollbacks changes and editor in PhpED will follow this.

That's unfortunate. I agree that the cursor should revert to the position where the "undo" is taking place, but sometimes I'm a little hyperactive and click in several places in my code before deciding that I need to undo or redo something. For me, it's more cumbersome to have to undo half a dozen cursor repositions even though no changes actually took place. I see your point, but this is the first editor I've ever used that undoes cursor repositions, so I'm not used to it.
Site Admin

Quote:
undo half a dozen cursor repositions

I agree that this is not necessary Smile Just one is sufficient. What I meant is behaviour of some other editors (for example ms word) where undo works stright forward with no prior cursor movements. You never now what's next until it undid something needed.

Yes, I'm definitely with you there. I always find myself doing a quick "CTRL-Z, CTRL-Y" (undo, redo) to get my cursor back to the last edited text without actually changing anything.

Either way, it's a minor issue, but I was just curious if there was more control over that behavior or not. Thanks for the response!
Veteran

cmq wrote:
Yes, I'm definitely with you there. I always find myself doing a quick "CTRL-Z, CTRL-Y" (undo, redo) to get my cursor back to the last edited text without actually changing anything.

Either way, it's a minor issue, but I was just curious if there was more control over that behavior or not. Thanks for the response!

Hey cmq I have this exact same habit (undo,redo) to try and find my last working position. Often I move around examining code and when I need to get back to where I was working I do that trick. I wish the cursor movement undo was an option as well but alas Razz.
Site Admin

well. Let me summarize what's that we all want IDE to be.
Suppose a change is made on line #544 followed by a series of cursor movements.
First UNDO should bring cursor back to the line #544, and next UNDO should revert changes on the line.

It's my understanding that we all agreed with this Smile

yes it's so Smile

may be on option/setting that undo(s) just the changes and not the cursor movements could be fine Smile

dmitri wrote:
well. Let me summarize what's that we all want IDE to be.
Suppose a change is made on line #544 followed by a series of cursor movements.
First UNDO should bring cursor back to the line #544, and next UNDO should revert changes on the line.

It's my understanding that we all agreed with this Smile
Yes, that would be great Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by matSend private messageVisit poster's website

I'm glad someone started this thread some time ago, b/c it's been on my mind since the first time I fired up an eval. I'm not sure what was resolved-- is the proposed new behavior that only cursor movement immediately preceding a change will be UNDO'd? I just wanted to pine in with my two cents:

I think it's important to view this behavior in the light of usability and acceptance: I've never seen an editor behave in this manner, and, while it may or may not be better, this feature of undo not really undoing is out of the norm-- it raises a flag in any experienced coder's mind, asking "Is this behavior an oversight of the IDE developer?" That can cause doubt.

When one makes a change from the norm (like F1 is no longer help or up-mouse is really down-mouse), no matter how useful the new behavior, there has to be a really strong reason for it or it is not really embraced by the end user (more just, "yeah, that's just one of those quirks, but the product on the whole rocks, so I can overlook it"). To that end, perhaps an option is the more generally acceptable way to go.

I, too, am one of those CTRL-Z, CTRL-Y folks who have naturally adopted that technique because of the standard, accepted method that UNDO works. When you learn to depend on work-arounds in every application ubiquitously, it becomes the normal, expected behavior, and any deviation is seen as a flaw.

Keep up the great work-- this is awesome software, and I wouldn't change a thing accept:
http://forum.nusphere.com/search.php?search_author=bcswebstudio
Wink
happy new year all
[resolved] should undo show cursor movements?