NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Should I upgrade my PhpED from 5.2 (build 5242) to 5.5?

Hi there, as title, I'm using PhpED 5.2 (build 5242) right now on Vista Enterprise edition at work and I'm not sure whether I should upgrade to the latest 5.5 right away? What are some of the major improvements or fixes/features of 5.5? Do I also have to upgrade the debugger .dll files? I'm mainly using it for debugging Moodle (moodle.org), from moodle 1.5.x (which is mainly PHP 4.0 codes) to moodle 1.9.x codes (which is more object-oriented and more PHP5). Would I have any issues to run PhpED 5.5 for maintaining PHP 4.0 codes? thanks!
Veteran

Quote:
What are some of the major improvements or fixes/features of 5.5?

The new features in version 5.5 is listed here: http://www.nusphere.com/products/phped_features.htm
The changelog for version 5.5 is here: http://www.nusphere.com/news/changes55.htm

Personally (on the level that I develop), I found no compelling reasons to upgrade. However, I did upgrade because in principle I like using the latest version. PhpED worked great before and is still working great after upgrading Smile

Quote:
Do I also have to upgrade the debugger .dll files?

Yes, you have to upgrade the DBG files on your server to match the version of the DBG client that is built into PhpED.

Quote:
Would I have any issues to run PhpED 5.5 for maintaining PHP 4.0 codes? thanks!

I am using PHP 5 only, but cannot imagine that PHP 4 debugging would be a problem in PhpED 5.5.

I have an Advantage license so I upgrade every 2-3 builds, but here's what I noticed when I upgraded to the newer 5.5 builds:

* greater stability. I happen to be one of those users who had PHPed 5.2 crash on me several times a week. PHP 5.5 has yet to crash at all (Windows XP environment)
* Feels a bit more nimble to me. This might be my imagination, but I'm fairly certain 5.5 is faster for me than 5.2.
* The keyboard shortcuts for templates is nice. The other features seem insignificant to me

I'm developing PHP4 with the phped 5.5 debugger without problems.

I think PHPed 5.2 should suit your purposes fine if its stable. For me the fact that 5.5 was more stable means that 5.5 is a critical upgrade.
Veteran

With PhpED 5.5 I have no crashes and hangs as for now but with 5.2 I had. Yes the fact is that 5.5 sometimes freeze for a while or more while for larger projects, but it must reloads configs (code explorer etc.). For me 5.5 is better choice than 5.2. Regards, M.