NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] Short freezes while editing files through VPN

Hello,

I'm using the last version of PhpEd (5.2 rel 5242) on a Windows Vista laptop, and facing a little issue.

While editing PHP files through a VPN connection + network drive, not matter what the size of the file is, the application freezes shortly on a regular basis.
This occurs when editing the file (typing code) or even with scrolling down / up on a file.
It doesn't freeze for more than 2 secs, but it's quite painful when it occurs.
It doesn't really happen on a regular basis (I mean no systematic time between 2 freezes). Could be between 30 secs to 2 minutes without problem.

To give you more precisions:
- it doesn't happen when I'm connected to the LAN, on the same network drive (without going through the VPN),
- the VPN itself is stable and fluide (while navigating with the Windows Explorer through same network drive / files, I'm not facing any lag)
- I've tried to disable automatic checks of files updates in order to avoid extra / not necessary data exchanges.

I'm new with PhpEd but already love it.
Not that this issue will make me change, but it would just be great if you could give me some suggestions to avoid this.
On my side I'll continue testing and let me know if I found out more about this.

Thanks a lot in advance for your support,

Max
Site Admin

If the difference is only in VPN and it causes performance problems, you may want to check performance of the VPN itself.
Quote:
- I've tried to disable automatic checks of files updates in order to avoid extra / not necessary data exchanges.

Do you mean "check for extenally modified files"?

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually, I've worked from another place with exactly the same configuration, and it works really fine now!
It was probably an issue linked to the place I was at the time I noticed the issue.

Thanks a lot!

I'm getting this issue. What can I do to stop it?

Every few seconds everything freezes for a few seconds - makes it impossible to get anything done.

I'm sure there are some settings in PHPEd that can minimise this - but I'm not sure which ones.

Or can someone at least tell me which settings will make working via a VPN as fast as possible? I am willing to sacrifice code-completion etc. if necessary!

Thanks,
Site Admin

In most cases phped works very fast, but there are some ways to make it working slow. If you encounter something like that, please read the following.

General rules on how to keep PhpED running faster:
RULE-A: Don't put everything into a single project
-Each project is intended to work with one and only one site. If you have multiple sites, create corresponding number of projects in the same Workspace.
-If you have multiple "areas" in a site, such as an area for staff, 2nd for site admin and 3rd for users and they have different root directories -- it makes sense to create 3 different projects. All shared directories can be listed in the "Additional directories" list (see project settings)
-do not create backups or reserved copies of files inside the project, or at least hide them using "Hide files", "Hide directories" list (see project settings)
-similarly do not keep different versions of a library in the project. Hide all you don't work with
-always hide all technical/special purpose directories -- such as .svn, CVS, .git and so forth

After you changed project configuration, you may want to refresh Code Explorer, then wait until it finished (watch [folder] icon at the bottom left corner in the status bar), then restart phped.

RULE-B: If you work under Vista or W7, OS may tell you that phped became unresponsive and suggest you to Kill/Stop it. Do never do this, just close the message box using [x] button. PhpED may stop process window messages when it saves big files (including its config and db files). Killing phped will make those files damaged and next time it will spend your time re-coverying them or re-parsing all the project from scratches.

RULE-C sometimes it's faster and easier to run phped on remote host using Windows Terminal than working with huge projects through the network