NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Shared Host debugging

Is it possible to set up remote debugging on a shared host? I've used the new debug setup wizard (works pretty good by the way).

The wizard suggests I install the debugger module to
/usr/local/php52/lib/php/extensions

I believe I have some access to provide my own php.ini file on the shared host.
Site Admin

Quote:
I believe I have some access to provide my own php.ini file on the shared host.

Yep. Please consult with your hosting company. For example Godaddy provides virtual plan which comes with private php.ini, so customer is free to add his own modules/extensions/debuggers etc. But this freedom costs a few extra bucks.

Sorry for delayed acknowledgement, my email was pointing to old account.

Do you know if I can specify an alternate location for the debugger? The debug wizard is suggesting a location I don't have access to directly. If I can put a php.ini in a particular folder, and place the debug wizard (and yes, the debugger itself) in that directory, I thought I might be able to have the debugger located in that directory as well.
Site Admin

Quote:
If I can put a php.ini in a particular folder,

Please consult with your hosting company, it's their responsibility to provide or not provide you with an access to php.ini.
For example, godaddy allows to edit php.ini in some of the hosting plans (no all though).

Let me rephrase one last time in case I was unclear.

I am able to provide my own php.ini file in any folder I wish. I installed the php.ini file a folder local to my shared to directory for the shared host. The debugger wizard suggested the directory I listed before to install the debugger. I'm just trying to confirm if it's possible that I can place the debugger in another directory than what the debug wizard has suggested.
Site Admin

Quote:
I am able to provide my own php.ini file in any folder I wish

Well. If you provide your own php.ini in a particular directory, will php see and use it?
Will it load extensions specified in your php.ini file? If not, it's not any helpful for loading debugger php extension.
Otherwise, just have debugger module loaded there and check the results in phpinfo().

Quote:
The debugger wizard suggested the directory I listed before to install the debugger

The wizard only checks phpinfo and suggests php.ini path that is shown there.

Yes, apparently the php.ini file is operating similar to .htaccess. That is, if you put it in a folder it is checked and will use it. So, if I do a phpinfo() it sees that php.ini file in my shared directory. The debug wizard isn't checking for the local php.ini file of course so it is only suggesting what the "primary" php.ini file is saying.

What my question will ultimately boil down to is can a php.ini file specify an extension in another directory outside of the "normal" one. This may well depend on the host, as with .htaccess, I think certain configs can be enabled/disabled from httpd.conf.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Shared Host debugging