NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[resolved] SFTP doesn't actually do the transfer

Hi, I had SFTP working in the past and a few months ago it stopped working. I figured it was a bug that would be fix in a new release but it's still not working.

The Transfers log says "transfered 1234 bytes (20,2kB/sec). Yet the file on the server server does not actually change.

I have checked that I specified the correct directory a thousand times. The path show in the "To" column is correct.

How do I debug this?

Thanks.

(Note: opening an SSH terminal with the same credentials works fine.)

It just can't tell you that the file is saved, while actually it is not saved. It must be something wrong with account settings.
Please double check them. Either you're working with different host or with different directory.

Try to open the file from SFTP account in the Explorer, edit it and save. It will be saved or error will be given explaining why it did not happen.

If you're working with projects and uploading files, double check if project's settings are correct. In particular check publishing root and account. Note, that project publishing root is _ALWAYS_ relative to the account root.

dmitri wrote:
Note, that project publishing root is _ALWAYS_ relative to the account root.

OK that solved my problem... but how was I supposed to know?

Pease note there are at least FOUR design mistakes that make this non intuitive:

1) If it's relative to the account root, it's a SUBdirectory and should be called like that in the project properties instead of "Top publishing directory".

2) If I leave the subdirectory blank I get an error message. But it's relative ans I want to publish into the account root I should be able to leave it blank!

3) If it's relative, I should not be able to start the path I write there with a '/'. It is universally accepted that a path starting with / starts at the root!

4) In the transfer Log I see a destination path starting with / that doesn't look anything like relative. The From column shows absolute paths starting with D:\ . How am I supposed to know the To column does NOT list absoluet paths ?

If you could fix ANY of these 4, you would save people like me a lot of time and frustration.

Anyway, thank you for the fast and helpful answer! I should have asked you earlier! Wink

thanks for your comments!
Quote:
But it's relative ans I want to publish into the account root I should be able to leave it blank!

just put / there

I have to second fplanque's comments on this being somewhat counterintuitive as I ran into the same issue and couldn't figure out what was wrong in the settings.
[resolved] SFTP doesn't actually do the transfer