NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
setting up debugging : htaccess:rewrite and MVC architecture

I am new to PHPed, and love a number of the features.
I am developing withe SilverStripe, a MVC based framework with integrated CMS.
My site is setup for local development, using a Xampp setup.
Within PHPed everything is working other than breakpoints and other debugging features.
I can click to run debugging, it opens the default load page (as set in the project settings) 'index.php' with a debug var set after.
My htaccess, rewrites the path to the site root (removes the index.php) and the variable.
The page is then displayed and I can navigate the site to where I would expect the breakpoint to be triggered, but nothing.
I imagine this is due to the rewrite of the url without the debug var.

Does anyone know how I can work around this, or has dealt with a similar issue?
currently, leaving the index.php on the url causes another issue with links withing the framework... I don't have any more ideas at the moment..
Help would be greatly appreciated!

First step: make sure the dbg module is enabled (you can see it with a phpinfo() call) - something like this should be in there

Code:

Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
    with DBG v3.9.6, (C) 2000,2010, by Dmitri Dmitrienko

Once you have dbg installed you should be set to go. I usually use the project wizard to make sure everything is setup correctly.

I have the debugger setup, and it runs, but I can't for the life of me get to my breakpoint.
I know that the code that I have my breakpoint on is being run because the browser opens to the page where the ouput is.

I have run it with stop at first line enabled, this brings me into the bebugger, if I step through the code (takes a while since its a mvc framework) I should see my breakpoint at some point, but haven't yet (maybe I stepped past it, but I shouldn't be able to should I?). If I disable the stop on first line, it runs right through and loads the webpage. My log says the debug session has started and stop a number of times before the webpage is loaded.

How do I get the debugger to stop at and bring up the debug tabs when it reaches my breakpoint?

ps: I have tested further and can get a breakpoint in my index.php to trigger a stop, as well as a few others.
So it would appear that its a matter of the debugger not following all code execution through. The php page I want to debug contains a method that is called by a tag in a .ss file, this is a silverstripe specific template file. The method is used as a markup tag in the template but is run as php (making a sql query and more) so I would hope that I could debug it, but no matter what I try I can't seem to have a breakpoint in this method appear. Somethings else worth noting is that the same php file is called by another to run its init, while stepping through I can see this happen, and can even see the method I would like to debug but never actually get back to it.

well.... still having trouble getting to breakpoint directly in the IDE, some will other won't. (its a matter of the session ending and starting all the time?)

That said , I get what I need by using the IE embedded browser and the PHPed plugin.. I can click to open with debug, navigate the output tab to the page I need and right click and select debug with PHPed and all is well.
setting up debugging : htaccess:rewrite and MVC architecture