NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Set breakpoints for JavaScript directly in IDE for Chrome

So I've been evaluating PHPed now for a few days and I really like the built in browser and a few other features, but the one deal breaker for me is I couldn't find out how to debug JavaScript (we do more JS code than PHP even). After a lot of research, I found out the phped developers just added JS debugging in a way through Chrome Developer tools. I of course would rather have integrated JavaScript debugging, but if this is too much to do, at the very least, I at LEAST need the ability to set breakpoints in my Javascript code in phped and then have those breakpoints show up in the chrome developer tools. I edit my JavaScript files in PHPed, not in Chrome Developer tools. It's just too much of a pain to even use chrome tools if every time I need to set a breakpoint I have to do the following:

1. start a debug session
2. pause execution
3. open chrome development tools
4. switch to the right tab in chrome dev tools
5. find the file I need to set a breakpoint in
6. scroll through the whole file to find the line I need to add the breakpoint to
7. and finally I can add the breakpoint

And all this despite the fact that I was already looking at the exact right line of Javascript to set the breakpoint on in PHPed!

If you could at least add the ability to set and toggle breakpoints in the normal IDE and have them show up in Chrome Developer Tools, I would be a happy camper.
Veteran

YES !!!!

+1

This is essential, not a feature request !! Not sure why it hasn't already been implemented.....

This is not exactly an answer to your question, but something that I use normally.

In Javascript you can use debugger; keyword instead of manually searching for the necessary line in Chrome tools. It is a part of the ECMAScript standard - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/debugger so it should be supported in all browsers.
Set breakpoints for JavaScript directly in IDE for Chrome