NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
[5916] Search -> Selected text

when selecting a text and then ^ f by default for Scope the option "Selected text" is checked instead of Global.

this is a bit useless cause i know that the text i selected is in the selected text ....

can this option be set to Global by default when selecting a text and pressing ^ f.

thnx in advance

Please not, as I often just want to replace something within the selected area. I find it more intuitive the way it is now. Maybe this could be made optional in the editor settings?

Cheers,
Jan

+1 for the old way when scope had to be changed manually. I think it was changed in 5.9 and it's been annoying me ever since because I'm used to quickly select something I want to replace, type in the replacement and press alt+a.

I think a good solution for this situation would be to change scope to "selected text" only when multiple lines are selected since this is usually the way everyone uses this feature. What do you think?
Veteran

I like the way it is now.

I think bartheg's suggestion may be a viable alternative though.
Veteran

[quote="bartheqI think a good solution for this situation would be to change scope to "selected text" only when multiple lines are selected since this is usually the way everyone uses this feature. What do you think?[/quote]

Similar, I think that best solution is simpliest: if any text is selected, then search in selected scope otherwise global scope. That schould solve every problem.
Greets.

intro wrote:
if any text is selected, then search in selected scope otherwise global scope. That schould solve every problem.
Greets.

but this is the way it's working now (:

what's the point of selecting something to find and automatically changing the scope only to this selection? if you select a larger part of the file in which you want to find something, this is where my idea works. same goes to the replace dialog and a situation I mentioned.
Veteran

Yes, sometimes it is really uncomfortable, but I found that if I use Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V ... it is ok. Sometimes there is really needed to find something only in selected text.

But. If there is an old way, it will be really the same becouse now, You must select "Global scope" often or You must select "Selected scope" (but yes, only sometimes).

Better option would be research text from begining of the file after searching reaches end of the file.

Actually this is what I think would work best.

If you select anything, and press Ctrl+F (Find only), the selected text is entered into the text to find, and global scope is selected.
If you select anything, and press Ctrl+R (Find and replace), the selected text is entered into the text to find, but the selected text scope is selected.

I just now realized this is probably what the OP meant, so he is correct, and I +1 the request.

simshaun wrote:
If you select anything, and press Ctrl+R (Find and replace), the selected text is entered into the text to find, but the selected text scope is selected.

and what if you want to replace the text you just selected in the whole file?
Veteran

Everyone has his own way of working with this function, so we'll never find an optimal behavior for the search/replace function that matches everyone's needs. That's why I proposed a more flexible solution by making this configurable.

Cheers,
Jan
Veteran

bartheq wrote:
simshaun wrote:

and what if you want to replace the text you just selected in the whole file?
Then you choose Global. I'm only talking about what is selected by default, not removing anything from the dialog.

Everyone may have their own way working with the find function, but for me, at least, this is a significant degredation of usability.

Please may i ask when you make a change like this, that could affect usability, that you either

a) Describe it in the change log, or
b) Make it an option to switch back to the previous behaviour.

This is causing me a lot of grief, and I am stuck with it unless i go back to a previous version.

Just for the record i think in the 2 or three years we have been using PhpED i think i have done a find in a selected block of text only once or twice.
View user's profileFind all posts by ABoolsSend private messageVisit poster's website
[5916] Search -> Selected text