NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Returning file/line information from external tools

This came up in the thread about code analyzer, but since it is a general issue I'll put it in a separate thread.

I can't find any information in the documentation about how to return file and location information from an external tool so that the location in the log pane gets filled in properly. The "special" external tools, like the HTML Validator can do this already, and they are (I assume) run in the same way as anything else - i.e. the command output is intercepted and put into the log window.

So it should be a simple thing to have a documented syntax for this, and very convenient it would be too. And as long as I'm making wishes, how about also having a documeted syntax to color the log lines in the same way that happens for the HTML Validator. Maybe we can even use the same tags, i.e. if a line starts with Error: make it red, if it starts with Comment: make it gray.

How about that ddmitrie? Should be a simple thing to implement, right?
Site Admin

not trivial, but quite simple.
What if we implement an entry for the "integrated" commands like this

File location regexp: ^([^ ]+) (\([0-9]*\)) .*$

(or say Output location regexp)

by applying this regexp on each line in the output, IDE will get array of two elements (when matched, of course). And one of the elements will be file name and the other is line number.
By applying different regexp, you can tell the IDE where to find filename and line number and if line number is optional.

Would it work for you?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Yes, that sounds like a perfectly good solution.
PhpEd 6.1

This feature was broken in PhpEd 6.1 (
Returning file/line information from external tools